Chapter 17 - The novel

The next three days sped by quickly due to how busy my schedule had become. My soul's condition didn't entirely improve, but it didn't worsen either.

Misa, true to her word, had scheduled a different famous designer each day from across the continent of Ganimede. She insisted she could get some from Tyrra as well, though they wouldn't arrive for months. Each day, another designer would arrive and to up displays in one of the many entertaining rooms for me to peruse. Dozens of mannequins, boxes of jewelry, and spools of fabric would be scattered across the room. Each mannequin would house a one-of-a-kind dress. If I had a nickel for how many times I'd been assured that there was no other dresses in the empire like whatever I happened to glance at at the time I'd be wealthier than Eclis by now. It was tiring work, but Misa made it fun simply by being excited and passionate over everything. She could notice what dresses gave me pause or what jewelry my eyes gravitated too and would boisterously insist I try them on pouring over compliments and nitpicking everything that needed adjusting. What made it even more fun was the fact that for once in my life, money wasn't an issue. Eclis' vassals were deadly loyal and had managed his estates so well that he had more wealth than Tyrra and was only rivaled by the Empire. The only draw back, none of these designers would touch a commission for men's wear made for women. It was getting frustrating. They had a lot of pride and knowing I was the Dutchess of Dumont they insisted on 'only their best works.'

My most pressing issue wasn't dresses, however. Richard had 'bumped into me' twice now in the past three days. Every time he bumped into me, he'd tell me his schedule was free and ask me to tea or a walk in the garden. The first time was easy enough to brush him off since I was on my way to the designer, but the second two times were all conveniently after I'd finished. It was getting harder to come up with excuses to avoid him.

Alphonse confirmed he wasn't normally here this often. To Alphonse though, it would make sense that he was here more now that Eclis was back and if I hadn't read the novel I would agree.

"Alphonse, where is Eclis right now?" The butler gave me a knowing look.

"Ahh, your highness. He has been terribly busy catching up over the estate. He sends his deepest regrets that he cannot dine with you tonight, however, he says he will clear his schedule to dine with you tomorrow."

"Is he in his study then?" Alphonse seemed surprised by my response and hesitantly answered.

"Yes, though he left strict instructions not to be disturbed." He looked so apologetic that I sort of felt bad for what I was about to do.

"Take me there." He looked so uncomfortable. I stared at him with a blank face until he relented, leading me directly across the hall into the parlor of Eclis' room. It was a surprising revelation. The room directly from Eclis' wasn't even given to Julia when she first entered the palace. It was a huge milestone in his route when he'd changed her rooms and finally began to show her sincere affection. It made me smile.

Eclis' study wasn't guarded, nor was the door to his room unlike mine. Alphonse did not enter the parlor with me, instead giving me a final warning.

"The master... Does not like being disturbed in his study your highness. It would be best if you wait until tomorrow. I can see if he can meet you at lunchtime if you wish." He was very anxious, but what I had to say wasn't just 'I miss you.' It was important enough that he'd forgive me. Besides, I knew what to expect barging into his study like this. Julia did the exact same in the novel too. She didn't die. I smiled at Alphonse and closed the door.

His parlor smelled like him. Spicy, musky and sweet. It was sparsely furnished, as if he were in the process of changing everything. In the book Eclis' parlor was entirely unfurnished the first time Julia visited. In his half mad state, he had destroyed a lot of beautiful things in this palace, including every piece of furniture in his room.