Chapter 39 - The Parade

After several awkward minutes waiting in the carriage, it was time to put on the show. The curtains covering every window dissipated into thin air. The carriage turned from a warm and ornate interior into a glass box, revealing large windows all around us allowing onlookers to view us from every angle. Both me and Eclis sat with our backs straight, showing a picture-perfect pose of high society etiquette. For a moment I felt a little less human and more of a glass figurine on display, but that moment passed when Heinricks goofy smile reappeared in view atop a massive brown stallion.

"What do you think lass? He's a beaut." He patted the horse's side proudly, "Tis an Friesian horse. Comes from the best stock the Etten's offer. They're well known for their war horses and this one I raised myself." I smiled. Heinrick was riding a tall and muscular pure black horse. He'd left its mane and tail unbraided, so it fell in waves along the horse's neck glistening in the light. It had long wavy black feathers that were well groomed and the shoes it wore were purple, an ode to the Dumont house colours.

"He's absolutely beautiful. What is his name?" I reached out the window sliding my fingers down its shiny fur.

"I named him Bandit." Bandit, hearings its name perked up and snorted.

"Well, Bandit is a very handsome man. Did you say it came from the Etten house?" Beside Heinrick Richard appeared as well, also riding a black stallion but unlike Hienrick's massive warhorse, Richards was much leaner. It looked like it was built for racing.

"Yes, James Etten breeds and raises war horses for our army. We can't provide Pegasi for every knight after all." Heinrick gave a jealous look to Eclis.

"Where is James by the way? I haven't seen him since the first night at the palace." Heinrick's eyes lit up.

"Why yes, he has been very busy recently but I'm sure there is someway he can find the time to make it to the celebrations, hmm?" Heinrick answered my question, but he was looking at Eclis. When I turned back too him, he looked completely apathetic.

"I would love it if James could make the celebrations. The more of us the merrier right?" Eclis considered me for a long moment before nodding to Richard.

"Yes! We shall all have a drink together at the banquet tonight." Heinrick checked in front of our carriage. "Looks like there's a slight delay." Heinrick let out a frustrated sigh. He wasn't someone who could remain idle. If he wasn't training, he was working on something for the dutchy and if it wasn't that, he was talking. "Do you know the difference between the imperial knights and ours, Lass?"

"Other than the colour scheme?" I was happy to talk while we waited.

"There are fewer imperial knights than there are Dumont knights, but they're said to be the best of the best. Even better than ours," He spoke that part reluctantly before leaning in, "Supposedly." I giggled. "Our knights are trained for war whereas theirs are trained to uphold the law as well as mind one's honor in the capital. See the armour their wearing? Full suites of plate enchanted to protect them from the sun. Unlike us they're not powerful enough to handle it yet." Each of the knights were clad in white enameled armour trimmed in gold with the imperial crest of the phoenix proudly displayed on their chests and shields. Resting against their shoulders were ornately carved lances, protected between two wings was their crystal spearheads that shone unnaturally in the sun. "They're all lesser vampires as well. Knights of roses who have just recently fledged into full vampires, most get their first name as an imperial knight."

"So was James an exception then?"

"Aye, he was. See James was already trained as a knight by me, and once he fledged, he pledged his allegiance and loyalty solely to our prince over here." Heinrick raised his voice slightly as he spoke, taking a jab at Eclis. "He is an excellent fighter, a loyal vassal, and a good man." I had a feeling this wasn't meant for me at all. Eclis showed no reaction though.