Chapter 38 - We read the novel

The surprise on Jazz's face when she realized Eclis was watching her was a treat. It gave him great delight to hear her heart once again beat fast. "Shall we... Pardon?" Her speech was still breathless. Eclis had spent a better part of his life hating the numerous effects his kind had on humans, but he couldn't bring himself to hate her reactions to him.

"On showing me this novel of yours. Or do you want to wait for another day." Eclis' entire body felt both electrified and sedated after feeding. The blood given through a contract was powerful and its strength only increased with the strength of their bond. Due to her love for him the blood she gave completely satiated him, banishing the gnawing, mind breaking hunger he experienced in the prison like it were a distant memory.

"Right. Yeah. Let's do that then..." Jazz seemed to be slowly recollecting herself. He could hear her body beginning to calm down once again. The scent of her arousal was a tantalizing temptation, but he'd restrained himself. Now that she'd confirmed she was attempting to push him away he knew just how important it would be that he take things slowly.

"The process will take some time and it requires me to hold you. Is that ok?" Jazz's heart had finally stilled, only a slight flush reminded him of the thing they'd just shared.

"Yep. You have to do your... Mind thing again right?" He chuckled.

"Yes, the red mind thing as you so put it. It's a form of telepathy, though this will require the use of the elder language." He considered her for a moment. "Why don't you speak the spell?"

Jazz looked at him confused. "I'll be honest, I don't know what the difference is between speaking normally in that language and speaking a spell. Michael refuses to talk about it until he solves the mana issue and I become his official apprentice."

"There isn't one. All you need to do is say you grant me access to your memories in the language and that command will be enacted." She looked at him warily. Was she now having second thoughts trusting him?

"So, there's no way I'll ever be able to speak it here? We can't just have a conversation in it?" Eclis smiled. No. it would appear that wasn't the case. The tension he hadn't realized had built up over that thought disappeared.

"No. It is not a language you can use casually." After a moment, she repeated his words in Elder granting him access to her memories. Eclis turned to face her again, placing his hands gently on both sides of her face. His eyes glowed and their minds connected, except this time every barrier that would prevent him from seeing and doing everything he pleased was gone.

The urge to see everything about her took him but he restrained himself. He planned on having all the time in the world to get to know her. He summoned her memories of the novel. Every word flashing through his mind as he read it through her eyes. There were moments in time where he'd stop to watch a memory of hers play out in full. Her gushing to her friend about a scene in the story. Her talking about her predictions on what would happen, or what she thought he was thinking in a particular scene. With their minds connected like this, Jazz could see which memories Eclis was watching. After a moment she began to struggle, clearly not wanting him to see her inner thoughts about him.

Reluctantly, he moved on. As he watched the novel play out many things stuck out at him. Most importantly, the fixation Donner had for him. Even after giving up his succession rights, Donner often summoned him for the most mundane things. Throughout the entire novel Eclis watched himself grow more and more desperate, losing everything he cared about yet Donner never let him go. Even Julia was thrust upon him by Donners command. After the hour it took to read through all of Jazz's memories, Eclis ended with far more questions than he had answers. Julia's limited world view had meant many of the important events that lead up to the wars, as well as the political strife within the capital were just background noise to her mundane adventure. It left a lot to the imagination.