Chapter 33 - Returning to Dumont

"How is it you look so energized after all that?" Eclis stared at Richard, utterly drained from the days meeting. Richard on the other hand was pacing the room with a grin on his face.

"I think I've seen a new side of you I never knew your highness." Eclis glared at him.

"Just call me Eclis while we're alone." They'd simply influenced policy, yet he was treating it as if a new age were dawning.

"Have you given thought to which faction you wish to align with?" Richard spun to face Eclis again. It took a moment for Eclis to think of how to respond. The more time he spent with Richard, the more he wished to prove Jazz wrong about him. Eclis had a lot of plans for the factions, but he first had to discern how much he could trust with Richard.

"How did you manage our politics all on your own this entire time." Eclis sunk further in the chair. Going to war was less taxing on him than dealing with the political posturing in court. What would he give to just live in peace again at his estate.

"It wasn't easy." Richard sighed and for once looked conflicted on what to say. Words came easy to this man so Eclis was immediately intrigued. What could he be hiding to cause him to hesitate? "Heinrick and James certainly added to our troubles your highness." Richard stubbornly continued using his title, as if to nail in that was what Eclis was. His mouth opened, but it closed again. "I had to make a lot of tough decisions." He looked regretful but said no more. For now, Eclis decided it was best to keep him in the dark. He'd have his elven knights look into Richard. They were one of the few races that could remain undetected even to a vampire. If they found something before he confessed... He dismissed the thought.

"I left you in charge because I trust your judgement." Richard flinched. A knock at the door interrupted their discussion before Eclis could prod him further. In the hall, was the unfamiliar advisor for the crown prince.

"Apologies for the interruption your highness," He bowed to Eclis, "Count." And nodded at Richard. "My name is Thomas Vetinier, I am the advisor for Claude Alenta."

Richard quickly glanced at Eclis for an indication of what to do. "Come in then." Thomas didn't enter though.

"The crown prince simply wished for me to deliver these letters." He handed them to Richard.

"I'll ensure the Prince receives them then." Richard tucked both in his coat pocket. Eclis wasn't familiar with Thomas, nor with Claude since he was crowned a prince after Eclis had been imprisoned.

"One is addressed to Jasmine as well." Neither Eclis nor Richard showed any reaction.

"I shall make sure they fall into the right hands then." Richard smiled cordially. Thomas once again bowed before leaving.

"I didn't expect them to move so fast." Richard sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose. It was bold of the prince to contact her already. Publicly handing the letters in this way would ensure the entire palace knew by tomorrow that Claude had made a move. It was likely on the advice of the Imperial faction, seeking to secure Eclis to their side swiftly with a contract. When Richard turned back to Eclis he was surprised by smile he saw there.

Claude's move had finally decided things for Eclis. He hated the god of fate. He'd denounced her when she'd gotten in his way at the start of his campaign, yet all of her predictions came to be. Once she revealed the future it became etched in stone, unchangeable both by her and those involved. The idea of reading yet another of her works through Jazz's memories made him uncomfortable. Yet... The novel she'd written would prove useful to him.

The coming days at the palace were filled with back-to-back meetings. Tonnes of gifts were presented to Eclis. Many were of rare texts, enchanted artifacts, or weapons. Some of the vampiric nobles remembered Eclis' tastes but most would be purchasing their info of him through favours or from the thief's guild.