Chapter 21 - Our second date

It was the same dining room Eclis and I had dined in together when we'd first arrived at the palace. It was brightly lit and richly furnished. Paintings, each done in the style of a different race across Ganimede, depicted various scenes of feasts and festivals hung in between grand white pillars lining the walls. At the head of the table Eclis was waiting. He wore a white button-down shirt with a deep burgundy vest. My breath caught for a moment at the sight of firelight dancing in his ruby eyes. Our appetizers arrived first, a beautifully plated sushi carpaccio. Once the servants had exited the room I spoke.

"Richard is a spy." Eclis raised a brow in question, "And you'd know that if you'd simply take my knowledge on the novel." My brows were furrowed. Life was simpler when you had someone to be angry with and Richard was the perfect scape goat. He considered me for a moment longer.

"I heard you requested some tombs on magic." It was only natural Alphonse would tell Eclis about what I was doing. Given my relationship with Eclis I had to assume everything I did here was reported to him.

"Are you just going to ignore that then?" I knew I was just itching for a fight, but good lord did I even have the strength to stop myself? His eyes studied me while we ate until a lazy smile crossed his face.

"I take it you had some difficulty with magic then." His amusement only annoyed me more. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Taking out my anger on Eclis may make me feel better now, but I'd feel worse about it later.

"No. No it didn't." My annoyance still seeped in my voice but at least I didn't snap at him.

"Tell me about it then." I glared at him. Why was he avoiding the novel?

After another deep breath I spoke, "I was able to cast a single spell after hours of trying. Only one." I had to consciously loosen my grip on the cutlery in order to continue eating.

"So you managed one on your first try?"

"I wouldn't call it my first try. It seems I've gained some of the basic motor skills from who ever previously owned this body." I held up my fork, "Like being able to maintain proper etiquette." He nodded thoughtfully.

"I'd assumed it was because of the novel that you could follow etiquette." My head shook in answer while I furiously stabbed the last of my food. From the corner of my eye it looked like he smiled but when I glanced at him it was gone.

"Magic isn't tied as directly to one's body, as it is to their mind and soul. Give it time Jazz, you'll get stronger." This wasn't what was explained in the novel.

"Isn't it though? In the novel it says it was tied to your body's natural capabilities." He scoffed.

"That is what is taught in Tyrra," He practically spat the word, "They teach that as a way to separate the aristocracy from the rabble. Magic isn't purely an inherited ability, nor is it dictated by the quality of your blood." You could tell he detested the idea with just how disgusted his voice sounded.

"Then is it still true that people will have affinities with only one element of magic?" My voice sounded calmer. It was one of the integral pillars of how the magic in this world was explained in the novel. If this was wrong, how much else was? We were interrupted by the next course being served. Fish, on a bed of wild rice mixed with exotic vegetables. It had a butter fried crust and the inside was flakey and light. I was grateful for the portion sizes the chef now sent me.

"That is the only inherited part of magic. A child will inherit the affinity of one of their parents and in rare cases both, but one's strength and talent in it must be honed through practice and will." Surprisingly, he'd found the words to comfort me.