Chapter 23 - Michaels Proof

Any day that Misa and Maybella knew I was meeting Eclis they would spend an exceptional amount of time fussing over my appearance. Misa and I had become comfortable enough to joke with each other during the process and even Maybella was beginning to relax. A week ago, she would be stoic and silent, but now she added to the conversation. It seemed the way to her heart was through her sister.

"I'm so excited. Madam and Master have such a wonderful relationship." Misa spoke in a sing song voice while she fussed with the finer details on my dress.

"Misa, it is rude to comment on these things." Maybella often chastised her younger sister.

"He has been exceptionally kind to me." The power of a sacrifice had its root in the relationship between them and their contractor. It would be good for me if Misa spread rumors that mine and Eclis' relationship strong.

It was a beautiful sunny day. The air was heavily perfumed by the flower gardens we passed on our way to Michael's tower. It was on the edge of Eclis' estate surrounded by forest. I was excited to finally see it. It was described in the book only once since Michael hated Julia and never invited her there. Like the palace, it wasn't what I'd imagined. Surrounded by beautiful oaks and maples stood a square tower that was seven stories tall. It was made of blackwood, a type of wood resistant to all magic, nonconductive, and inflammable. The building itself was reinforced with a metal akin to silver, with a slight multi-chromatic sheen. Mythril. The front door was heavy and inscribed with a multitude of activated sigils each glowing a different colour. A slight brush of my fingers was all it took for it to swing inwards. Inside, Eclis, Alphonse, and Michael were waiting for me. Misa and Maybella both bowed before leaving.

In the center of the room was a massive square table covered with glowing runes, sigils and imbedded with gemstones. Around the room, all the wall space was taken up by various magical instruments. Some made of metal and gems, others of wood and bone. The room hummed with sound as things whirled, vibrated, or sung.

"Welcome Miss Jasmine." Michael smiled as I approached the table. He still refrained from calling me Jazz much to my annoyance. Not that I particularly cared if Michael did but rather that Eclis had prevented him from doing so.

"Thank you for your time Michael." Since I'd last seen him, I was informed that proper etiquette dictates I call him Sir. Dropping that title meant I considered him close.

"Anything for the Miss." Michael at least was using a term that also bid familiarity. If Eclis felt anything particular about it though, he did not show it. "Then, if you may, would you stand right here. This artifact is going to scan your vitals and help us determine your affinity." He gestured for me to stand inside a rather large implement in the corner of the room. It had multiple circles similar to a gyroscope, except each one was made of a different precious metal and each were inscribed with millions of tiny glowing runes.

Once I took my position Michael explained, "You'll feel a slight hum in your body while it works, but it won't hurt." I nodded for him to start. He placed a clear blue mana crystal in the base of the machine. Immediately it began to rotate, at first with all circles lined up but soon each one began to move in their own direction. A strange warmth spread through my body, starting from my center.

"While we wait, why don't you tell us what goal you've decided on, Miss." Michael stood in front of the machine and looked to be inspecting the flashes of light and runes that would appear from the swiftly spinning arms. Eclis stood to his left and Alphonse remained in the background passively listening.

"I want to join the adventurer's guild and explore the world." To me it was the obvious choice. What else would you do if you'd been transported into another world like this. The only person who wasn't shocked though was Eclis.