Chapter 41 - The Banquet

James had strawberry blonde hair and a slender build. He was only slightly taller than me and had a surprisingly calm aura about him. James didn't appear in the book, so I didn't quite know what to expect when I'd finally get to meet him. All I had to go off of was the stories Heinrick had told me while we trained together. He was always the calm mediator between Heinrick and Richard and I hadn't heard a single story yet where James had been the instigator.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you your highness. I apologize if this is too sudden." James smiled, "But when I heard that I have you to thank for being here, I couldn't wait." It felt like I was talking to someone I worked with, rather than a noble, or a vampire at that. Perhaps it's because James' looks weren't celebrity level perfection?

"I don't mind. I'm sure Richard will give you an earful enough for the both of us anyways." I laughed when he gave me a pained grin, "I am in your care Sir Etten." I curtsied and accepted his escort. As he led me through the halls, I realized I'd already forgotten the way back to my rooms. The palace was massive and without a guide there was no way I wouldn't have gotten lost already.

"Have you spoken with the duke yet?" I tried to make small talk but realized too late that I'd set off a bomb. He flinched before answering.

"No. Not yet." He gave me a reassuring smile.

"Don't let him brush you off. It's important." I wanted to say more but had to bite my tongue. In the palace everything was heard.

"Now I'm curious as to how I've earned my ladies support." We shared a smile, unwilling to share anymore on the subject. James stopped us in the hall. "Are you ready my lady?"

"You don't believe Richard when he says a ball is a battlefield for the ladies... Right?" Uncertainty coloured my voice. He gave me a smile that said, 'I do.' With a sigh, I hardened my resolve and gave him a nod. "I'm ready."

James' shoulders shook and he continued leading me down the hall. When we turned the corner, I realized why he had stopped us there. We entered the main hall, filled with other noble couples heading to the ball. None of them dared to stop us here, though etiquette didn't stop them from stealing glances our way. Their stares burned into the back of my head and I entertained the thought of twisting around and sticking my tongue out. Perhaps the finger would do the trick?

James laughed when he noticed my expression, somehow reading what I was thinking. When I gave him a questioning look he just said, "You remind me of someone." Before I could ask him to elaborate though, we'd reached our destination. Unlike us, the other nobles continued on down the hall towards another set of doors.

Infront of us stood two large white doors, decorated in gold and guarded by Imperial knights on either side. With a nod from James, the doors parted and a Herald on the other side announced our arrival.

"Announcing Sir James Etten and Jasmine Rose of house Dumont!" His voice rang clear and loudly through the entire hall. The place was huge with large arching windows lining both sides. The doors opened up to a grand dining hall. Rows of large long tables stretched the entire length of the hall and were covered with dishes already, with more entering the room. No one was eating yet as the seats were still filling with the last of the nobles. The room was filled with white marble pillars lining every side, between each pair was draped a large tapestry depicting the crests of different kingdoms and houses. Only three tapestries held a single crest on them, one for Dumont, Alenta, and the Emperor draped above the Imperial dining table side by side.

I understood now why the other nobles didn't use this door. It led to the elevated balcony at the front of the hall where the imperial family dined. It made sense unfortunately. Eclis still hadn't renounced his candidacy for the crown, so we were both considered Imperial royalty at the moment on top of the fact that this ball was in his honour.