Chapter 36 - The Forge Master

I found Michael in his study. He was resting his head in one hand while he glared at one of the machines. His glasses had slipped down his long nose and his blue eyes appeared frustrated and unfocused. He wore his hair in a tangle long curly silver hair. A pile of mush was sitting in it. I smiled at the cute sight. "Michael, I do believe if you stare at it harder it might even clean itself!"

Michael gave me a surprised glance, quickly pushing his glasses back on his face. "Ah yes, Jasmine – Er – Miss! I forgot you were coming today. I mean, I lost track of time, of course I wouldn't forget you're coming today!" He scrambled for a moment before recollecting himself.

"I assume the experiment was a failure?" He flinched.

"What gave you such an idea."

I shrugged, "It would explain why you're glaring at the pile of mush over there..." I paused. It was red and looked oddly like hamburger meat. When I blinked it was gone.

"Don't mind that." His eyes shifted away quickly.

"What was that?" He simply shook his head, moving a wall of texts from one side of the table to the other without lifting a finger. He didn't verbalize the spell, nor did any visual effect hint that it was being casted. "How are you doing that?"

"I'll teach you soon enough." My chair was still sitting where I'd left it last time I'd visited. Normally he'd have it apparated out of thin air but now it never disappeared in the first place. It was comfy.

"Not soon enough for me. I take it you've heard I'm going to the palace next week?" Michael genuinely looked surprised.

"No. I've been rather distracted with the latest experiment we talked about; I hadn't heard... So soon?" He nodded thinking hard on the situation.

"Michael. I want to do the awakening." He was still nodding absently. It took him a moment to hear my words. He ran his hand through his hair. Seeing him pour over this problem so diligently made me smile. Michael didn't work on this just because Eclis was his Duke and friend. His promise to help me was genuine, I could see that now.

"Yes. Yes, I suppose that is what we're marching towards." He spoke the words while he sighed.

"Really? I thought you would refuse me again. What's changed your mind?"

"An awakening is a tried-and-true process. We know how it works, we know that it works and while it is dangerous, the results are certain... Better the devil you know..." It appears the most recent experiment an utter defeat.

"What was that thing?" I nodded in the direction of the machine.

"That was... A rabbit." He cringed. "I've realized that even if I do find another 'way' we won't know the potential side effects of the process." That pile of meat... A shudder racked my spine involuntarily. "Don't worry. It didn't suffer." That didn't change the fact that the poor thing died though.

"Can you..."

"No. Reincarnation magic can only work on sapient beings." He shared a sad look with me.

"There is such thing as reincarnation magic?"

"Yes, though it can only be performed by clerics on hallowed ground." I sighed. "Miss, I apologize. You shouldn't have seen such a sight." I shook my head.

"No. Don't worry about it. I've eaten plenty of rabbits Michael. I've just lived a very sterile life so knowing something died is a little different. I'll need to get used to that."

"Yes. Yes, I suppose you will if you're going to become an adventurer. They often catch game while travelling you know."

"So I've heard. One of my instructors has been teaching me to build snares in preparation." A smile returned to my face thinking about camping in the woods. "So, can you tell me more about an awakening and what to expect? How can I prepare for it? Wait, when can we do it? Can we do it now?" He smiled and held his hand up to stop me.