Chapter 5 - No more Secrets

"It would seem you aren't able to lie to me, but no matter. I will know who you belong to." The hell does that mean? "What is your full name?"

"Jasmine Lancaster." My mouth moved on its own accord. It was as if I was a passenger in my own body. At least the view is nice.

"Tell me about the book, the Rose and its Thorns." He crouched in front of me. Way to close.

"It's a love story about Julia Threshman. It takes place in the Rose empire." He seemed genuinely confused by my answer. I guess if you knew your magical language couldn't be written, it would be weird to hear it was written in a love story of all things. I would've sniggered if I could.

"I see... Then how is it you knew where to find me?" You could cut paper with the edge in his voice now.

"You're a character in the novel. When I woke up in that prison, I sought you out." His face was unreadable. He stared into my eyes for a long moment before speaking again.

"I'm in the novel you say. Then who are you in this novel?"

"I don't know. Whoever I am now was never named."

"Whoever you are now..." I would never forget the beauty of his thoughtful face. "Then who were you before?"

"Jasmine Lancaster. I appear to have teleported into this novel. I'm from another world." Wasn't it an unspoken rule to never tell anyone you've been isekai'd? What would happen to me now?

"Then Jasmine, why did you seek me out?" He was just told he was a character in a novel and that I was from another world, but he took it all in stride. Perhaps he thought I was crazy...

"Because I love you." WHAT? NO! NO NO NO NO NO! THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE. NOOO. WHY WOULD I SAY THAT.

His laughter broke me from my mantra. "Is that so?"

"Yes." Absolutely not. No. There is definitely something wrong with his mind reading. Even under his control I could feel my cheeks flushing. My whole body was probably turning into a tomato by now.

"Ah, one last thing. You will let me call you Jazz." With that he released me from his control and I sprung up yelling.

"I DO NOT LOVE YOU, I DON'T KNOW WHY I SAID THAT. GOOD BYE." I made to storm out of the room. There was no way I'd ever be able to look at him again. Before I could escape, he had caught my arm. All vampires were said to make no sound when they moved but I didn't realize just how startling it is to experience in person.

"Wait. The innkeep has a fresh bath and clothes for you to use." I glared at him wishing he had the courtesy to let a lady go lick her wounds. My mind was basically just raped. "And Jazz, do remember, I will find you no matter where you go." He smiled, thought that didn't lessen the impact of the threat he just gave. "See you soon." You mean I better come back eh?

He let me go and I left without answering him. Mid way down the stairs, tears started spilling across my cheeks and I rushed out the front door of the inn unable to hear whatever the inn keep had yelled after me. My legs carried me through unfamiliar cobbled streets. It was already crowded with people starting their workdays, but no one paid attention to the dirty crying girl rushing through. For that I was grateful. I needed time to collect myself alone.

By the time I was willing to rest and sit I was thoroughly lost in the town, or village. Wait no, definitely too small for a village. It was a city. A port city. The smell of the ocean permeated the streets, mixed with the smell of open sewers and freshly baked bread. Now that the sun had risen the city had come alive with the sounds of people hawking their wares and horse carriages traveling to their destinations. The city climbed up a hill from the ocean and from the street I was on I was able to see it span in either direction. The tallest buildings here were no more than three or four stories, some of wood, others of stone. It was beautiful. This could only be the port city of Eridia, the hub of all trade between Tyrra and Ganimede. This would be one of the destinations Eclis would have to travel in order to get home. So that's where you're heading. At least some things were still true to the book.

I sighed and sat on the ledge of a short retaining wall facing the view. In order to survive in this world, I would need to learn how to make money. With my looks I could get a job at a grocer or baker hawking wares but there was no way I was going to settle for something so mundane. This was a world of Magic, of adventure! In Ganimede there were countless creatures of fairy tales to meet, there were princes and dragons and princesses! I had no skills though. Without money for the expensive texts there was no way I could learn magic, and I had no martial skills to speak of. It was a perplexing problem of mine. should I become a clerk until I save up enough to afford a teacher?

"Miss... Miss! MISS!" A teenage boy was rushing through the streets yelling as he drew near. I was waiting for him to pass but instead he stopped in front of me keeled over trying to catch his breath.

"Oh, do you mean me?" I pointed at myself.

"Yes!" Realizing he just yelled into my face he apologized, "I mean, my father was worried the miss would get lost here and sent me to fetch her." He bowed low in front of me. He was speaking to me as if I were a noble, though I certainly didn't look it in this condition. My dress, while it was once probably nice, was tattered and dirty. I didn't correct him though. If I ran now, I could lose him, but Eclis still had my blood flowing in his veins. He would be able to find me no matter where I went, and he already made it known he would.

"Oh, thank you!" I nearly apologized for the inconvenience but remembered that was inappropriate in this situation, "Then please lead the way." Though I had no memories, I seemed to have inherited this girls' instincts about the world. Thank god.