Prologue IV: Facing the music

I exhale deeply before rushing out the door, closing it behind me but as I turn around I collide with someone. I look up to see two black eyes starring back at me. I take a step back trying to hide the skates in my left hand behind my back (not very successfully I might add). Damn that guy has a talent for showing up out of nowhere...

"Hey" I say weakly looking down to my feet, suddenly feeling nervous and fidgety.

"I thought you didn't skate" he said hesitantly.

"What are you doing here?" i ask, desperately trying to change the subject while starting to walk down the hallway, feeling him following me.

"I wanted to have breakfast"

"The village cafe is the other way" I suggest, picking up the pace.

"You didn't answer the question" he said, grabbing my arm to stop me in my tracks.

"What question?" I mumble, trying to avoid making eye contact with him.

"You said you don't skate"

"That's not a question" I reply, freeing myself from his grip and continuing to make my way to the exit.

"You lied!" he accused, and I hear him stop behind me.

I slowly turn around facing him, finally looking him in the eyes "I didn't lie. I said that I'm not a skater here at the Olympics, which is true. Doesn't mean I don't skate" I argued.

"Okay... Where are you going?" he inquired taking a few steps towards me.

"Skating."

"Where?" He questioned further.

"At the open air rink next to the ceremonial square" I reply a bit more enthusiastically.

With that said he turns around, and disappears down a hallway before I can even say anything. I stand in the hall for a few moments, confused as to what just happened. Trying to collect my thoughts I make my way to the rink, they let me in quickly, after seeing my badge (probably thought I was an athlete). Thankfully there was no one on the ice which reassured me. I sit down on a bench, placing my skates next to me, put in my headphones and start playing some music (The Pina Colada Song always manages to relax me and lift my spirits).

I close my eyes, listening to the song, inhaling the brisk winter air. I'm startled when I feel something shift next to me. I keep my eyes closed, knowing who's next to me. I guess a girl can't get a moment of peace and quiet around here. I finally decide to open my eyes after untying my shoelaces and look at the boy sitting next to me, a childish grin plastered on his face. I notice that he put my skates next to himself to sit closer to me, his own boots laying on the floor in front of him next to his bag. I look at him, waiting for him to say something but he just smiles at me.

"So are you just gonna sit there or are you going to pass me my skate?" I ask, smirking playfully at him. He giggles goofily, before reaching for my left skate. I quickly grab his arm, exclaiming "No, no, no! Right foot first!" He looked amused but complied with my request, while I took off my shoe, and took my boot from him. He takes off his own shoes and puts both of his skates on, handing me my second one when he sees that I'm done lacing the first one. Once he does that he laces his own boots. I pull down my leggings and black gaiters to the heel of the boot, making sure that they cover my laces perfectly. I look up to see Yuzuru already standing in front off me, looking at me as if he was entertained by my behavior.

"What?!" I say defensively

"You have a lot funny habits" I raise an eyebrow at him, so he goes on "You like to put on your right skate first, before removing the left shoe. And you are very particular about covering your laces". I giggle because he spoke very fast and his Japanese accent becomes more prominent when he does that. It's weird really... Sometimes his accent sounds almost Canadian and he doesn't make grammar mistakes, and then sometimes it's the complete opposite.