25 - Sway with me

AN: you can listen to the song^ while reading the first dancing bit if you'd like :)

~

When I found my way back to the table my gaze fell upon Yuzuru, who seemed to be looking at me but as I got closer I could see that he was distantly staring into space. As I got even closer I looked back when I realized he was staring at something behind me. Or rather someone. I follow his gaze until it lands on Nathan, who was still standing where I left him, chatting with an older looking man.

I take one more step towards Yuzuru, successfully blocking his view of Nathan, quirking one brow at him when his eyes snap up to mine.

"You okay?" I ask in a soft voice, slightly thrown by the cold look in his eyes.

"What did he say to you?" he didn't say who he was talking about but somehow I knew.

"Oh nothing really, just congratulated me!"

"You were laughing..." he says almost inaudibly, his hand clenching around the back of his chair.

"Yes... Look we're just friends... Not even friends, just friendly!"

"He was looking at you..."

"Uh, yes that's what people usually do when they're talking to someone-"

"No, I mean he was looking at you."

"Okay that's enough, let's go dance. Now." I growl, fed up with this line of questioning. I shoot him a dark look that instantly makes his eyes widen before his features soften. He reluctantly takes my hand and I drag him to the 'dance floor', ignoring his complaints and worries about not knowing how to dance.

"Don't worry, I can dance. Rather well actually" I shrug, coming to a halt in front of the musicians who seemed to be deciding what music to play. After a few minutes they seemed to have come to a decision and the music started. I instantly recognize the song and I'm pretty sure I heard Yuzuru groan when he realized it wouldn't be a typical slow dance.

I grab his hand firmly and drag him to the center of the empty space, turning around to face him before putting my other hand on his shoulder. He hesitantly puts his hand on my waist, gripping me gently yet stiffly. I look him in the eyes and start stepping slowly, waiting for him to catch the rhythm of the dance.

When marimba rhythms starts to play
Dance with me
Make me sway

I quickened our pace, and it looked like it was hard for him to keep up with these quick flowing steps because he kept stepping on my toes, making me wince slightly each time. He was looking down at our feet but my dress was getting in the way. As soon as I noticed his discomfort I changed my stance to make it easier to me to follow. He shot me an apologetic glance and his grip tightened on my hand as I gave it a comforting squeeze. The hand that was on my waist wasn't stiff anymore, his touch gentle. His hand slid further down, settling just above my hip which made my heart skip a beat. 

Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close
Sway me more

Soon enough we were both spinning in circles and shuffling our feet to the fast, rhythmic music as other people around us started to dance too. It was mostly girls dragging their friends or training mates on the dance floor and the sight of it made me giggle. I could see Tessa and Scott dancing like they were ballroom dancers and I figured this wasn't their first rodeo.

Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me
Sway with ease

Chris and Javi however, looked like a hot mess and I pulled us further away from them, half convinced that it was just a matter of time before those two would crash into someone. That someone will not be me. At some point, while we were both spinning in circles with our patterns, I caught the approving smirk she sent me from behind Yuzuru's shoulder. I shook my head at that, only to be met with Yuzuru's very confused expression.