17 - Feeling sleepy

Marseille (France) - December 8th 2016

"Shouldn't you be resting? It's getting late and you're skating tomorrow!" Chris protests on the screen of my phone.

"Probably...? But what are you, my mom? I'm meeting up with Maia and Alex! We're just gonna watch the men's short program and eat junk food."

She shoots me a look that tells me that she knows full well that we're skaters, and therefore we don't eat that much junk food.

"Well not really but you know what I mean... Tessa and Scott might come too so it's better than eating dinner alone in our hotel rooms!"

"Alright! Well have fun, and don't get your bloody knickers in a twist when you see-"

"Shut up! You know we're just friends!" I whine in protest.

"Oh yeah, you're totally not gonna loose it when you see Yuzuru. You already have!" she mocks me mercilessly.

"I AM not going to- You know what? I gotta go, I'll talk to you tomorrow!" I hang up on her before she can say anything else and try to spot my friends in the crowd. I finally see some familiar faces and quickly make my way towards them, muttering 'sorry' or 'excuse me' whenever I had to push past someone. Warm eyes and smiles awaited me as I walked towards the group of skaters and they all stoop up to greet me as soon as they saw me. Maia and Alex both grinned at me before quickly hugging me, whereas Scott bear hugged me, lifting me off the ground.

"Ah if it isn't my favorite niece!"

"Oh are you my uncle too now? Chris wouldn't approve!"

"Eh. She'd just say something like 'Dude, we're not bloody related!' and still hug me!"

"She totally would!"

I could see Tessa shaking her head in disbelief, waving at me softly before sitting back down, leaving an empty space for me between her and Scott. I smile cheerfully at her before sitting taking my seat, zipping up my jacket as Scott handed me some fries and a salad.

"Fanks" I mumble, stuffing some fries into my mouth "Mmm! By the way, Chris says hi to all of you!"

"Oh how is she? Did she talk to Nick yet?" Maia asked with a knowing smile.

"Wha- How do you know about Nick?"

"She told me about it a few days ago. Do you know him, you train at the same rink right?"

"Know him? Oh yeah I know him, he's my brother" I smirk, amused by the situation.

"Oh... Sorry then!" Maia's face acquired a bright shade of red.

"Why?"

"I believe the last thing I said about him was 'As you said Chris, he's just a colossal prick' " she said, nervously glancing at me in order to see my reaction.

"Well, you're not wrong... I mean I love him, but still..." I shrug, offering her a genuine smile.

After that the conversation was light and easy, some of us chatting about the men's performances, others discussing their own. Scott was discussing lift techniques with Maia and Alex while I was engaged in a conversation about stress with Tessa. I was incredibly thankful to be able to talk to such an experienced skater, and even more grateful that she was actually giving me valuable advice since I have a tendency to crumble under the pressure.