63 - Possesive

AN: ^second song of the dancing scene, it's very short lived so this is just for reference but feel free to listen when you read :)

~

I quietly sip on my gin and tonic, surveying the ball room from where I was standing, shuffling my feet — which were already starting to hurt — in the process. There were tables scattered along the walls of the rooms, groups gathered around them to socialize, while the center of the space was the designated dance floor which was filled with dancing couples.

I could easily distinguish two different categories of dancers: the ones who had no idea what they were doing but had fun trying nonetheless and those who looked like they had been taking ballroom dancing classes since they started to walk. I could even swear I caught a glimpse of Tessa and Scott, prancing around the beginners like the professionals they were. Before I can spot any other familiar faces Javi reappears next to me, carrying two plates filled with hors d'oeuvres — mostly those heavenly looking one bite tacos — and he holds one out to me, offering.

"I'm good, thanks..." I shake my head with a small smile, despite how good the food looked I no longer had much of an appetite. "I'd rather get a refill."

"You need to eat," he smiles at me kindly, taking my almost empty glass back and shoving the plate into my hands. "Or you won't have much fun later tonight."

"I can hold my liqueur just fine," I roll my eyes but the food really did look good so I reluctantly take a bite, sighing as the flavors explode on my tongue.

"I know you can," he laughs, setting my glass down on a table before digging into his own food. "But the responsible thing to do is to feed you before letting you drink more."

"You know," I start, chewing quickly and swallowing before speaking again. "You don't have to take care of me."

"Sí claro, but it doesn't look like anyone else is."

My jaw drops as I snap my head up to Javi and to my dismay I found no hint of humor on his features. Instead, his gaze was distant, his eyes fixed on something and his face emotionless. I follow his line of sight and it doesn't take me long to find the object of his attention. I had to admit that Chris was a vision tonight with her luxurious satin dress and her trademark red lipstick, laughing wholeheartedly at something Maia said while grasping Nick's arm for support. And Nick, who was usually just as easy going and joyful as Javi, didn't seem to be paying attention to the conversation in favor of just gawking at Chris like she was the most enchanting creature he had ever set his eye on. "You're staring again Javi."

His mouth twitched and his jaw clenched but he gave no hint of having heard what I said, seemingly unable to tear his eyes away from them. He blinks and clears his throat and turns to me, offering me smile that looked more like a grimace. "Refill?"

"Please," I return the smile, not one filled with compassion or pity but a radiant, happy smile. Or at least my best impression of one. I try not to let it slip as he walks away, letting out a humorless chuckle and mumbling under my breath. "What a pathetic pair we are."

~

Eventually, after yet another drink, Javi and I start relaxing, chatting with a few acquaintances here and there — at least those who ventured into our secluded corner — and then we started making fun of random people we saw. Some really needed some help with their looks, especially the old russian ladies who thought that wearing an animal around their neck and abusing Botox was the best way to stay young and beautiful. Safe to say that I would disagree. After one of our almost manic laughing fits, we finally settle down, still chuckling when I see Nathan spot me from a nearby table. He excuses himself from whatever conversation he was having and makes his way towards Javi and I, smiling at me warmly.