16 - Donuts and heart to hearts

I've been pounding on Nick's front door for about five minutes now, receiving only a grunt as a response. Well at least I know he's alive...

"Nick open the door!"

Silence.

"Oh come on! Open the damn door before I wake up the whole building." I try not to raise my voice too much, and ring the doorbell instead of banging the door.

Silence.

"I know that you're in there!"

"No you don't!"

"Um well if I didn't know before, I sure do now..."

"Go away Darianka!"

"No! Not until you open the door and let me in."

Silence.

"I have donuts...?"

I hear some shuffling on the other side of the door, a smirk forming on my lips when the door swings open, revealing a very hungover looking Nick.

"Wow, I guess someone had fun last night..." I tease, brushing past him to set the box of donuts on his kitchen counter.

"Not funny..." he mumbles as he goes to make his bed.

"Well there are enough beer bottles here to throw a party Nick." I say as I'm gathering said empty bottles to put them in the trash.

"Are those from dunkin's?" he asks, pointing to the donuts.

"Of course! I had to go all the way to the city and back to get them, so you better not act like an ungrateful brat."

"I guess you're mad at me..."

"I was... But we're not talking about it until you've had your morning coffee. And maybe a shower too... I need a tea!" I shrug, discarding the last few bottles of beer.

"I don't have mint tea..."

"Black tea then?"

He nods, taking out the loose tea from a cupboard and handing it to me before disappearing into the bathroom. A couple of seconds later I hear the shower turn on. While he's taking his shower I prepare him a cup of coffee just like he usually drinks it - a black coffee with an extra shot of espresso and no sugar - and make myself a cup of black tea with lemon and sugar. I set the two cups on the table, along with the donuts and go open the curtains to let some sunlight into the apartment.

I throw a towel at my brother when he comes out of the bathroom, his hair still soaking wet and dripping all over the floor.

"So did you actually go all the way to the center of the city to get the donuts?" he asks, opening the box and taking a big sip of his coffee.

"Of course not! Had 'em delivered..." I chuckle, taking a bite from my donut.

"Are you mad?"

"I'm not mad."

"Your face is all scrunched up like when you're mad!"

"I'm puzzled, not mad."

A few seconds of silence.

"You still look mad D..."

"I'm not mad. But I will be soon, if you keep this up!" I hiss, annoyed at his stupid remarks.

"So... On a scale of one to ten how much do you hate me right now?"

"Nick... I could never hate you... Look I'm sorry I wasn't there for you yesterday but-"

"I know you think I'm an asshole and I'm sorry you had to be dragged into this mess-"

"Can you stop please!" I slam my cup of tea on the table, spilling some of its contents "Can you stop assuming what I think? And maybe actually listen to what I have to say..."