Chapter 17

James

Billy and I presented the project on our own without Avery. We went last since we kept saying Avery was going to be out for a few days, but he never showed up. Billy and I thought he'd at least come to school after two weeks, but all he does now is leave the house at night without saying anything to me or my parents. Sometimes he'd even ask my parents for money, which kind of pissed me off.

What was he buying? He had everything he needed. My parents went out and bought him clothes and everything he could possibly lose in the fire- even bought him stuff to make a new altar in the guest room... or his room now, I guess. To be honest, I hate that he's living in my house now, especially since he's ignoring me and acting like I don't exist.

Sometimes he doesn't even come back at night, sending my Papa out in the middle of the night to find him. I don't bother going with him to find him, since he wants nothing to do with me. Why the fuck should I spend my precious sleeping time to find some idiot who doesn't give a damn about me?

...Like I even sleep, anyways. I had to start taking melatonin, but that doesn't even work. Nothing does.

''M-Macbeth showed a lot of different themes...'' Billy stuttered, holding the flashcards he wrote in his shaking hands. I stood beside him with the poster board we made, the glitter and stickers holding on by a thread with the shitty Elmer's glue we had to use. The whole class watched Billy struggle to say the words, some even mocking him and laughing at his inability to read aloud. It made me want to walk over and rub the poster board on their face so they were covered in glitter too, but I was too tired to even move. My body ached from how tired it was. Billy knew that I was exhausted, so he said that he would read.

''M-Miss Macbeth was ambitious, a-and ruthless-''

''Lady Macbeth, Flores. Not Miss.'' Mr. Black mumbled. Billy snapped his head up towards him, gripping the flashcards down at his side with anger. It looked like they were ready to rip just by his grip... man, I really don't have the patience for this right now.

''I don't give a DAMN if she's a lady, a man, or any of that shit! You come up here and read these flashcards in a language you can barely speak! This school barely helps with anything, including helping me learn how to read!''

''Billy, why don't you have James read? Come on, what's gotten into you? Of course the classes help-''

''You know I can't do this! I told you this before class started and you didn't care!'' He started. His eyes began to swell with tears and embarrassment, the rest of the class growing silent at the scene. Billy never acts like this. He was always the one in class who cracks jokes and gets Mr. Black all riled up. He also never failed to make people laugh even on the worst days... but lately, it just hasn't been the same.

None of us have been the same.

''He can't read either, dumbass! He's standing there half-awake for your stupid ass project that don't even make sense! What the hell is a Macbeth? Who gives a shit! I don't!'' He yelled, throwing the flashcards down on the ground before storming out of the classroom. Mr. Black jumped up from his table after him, yelling for him to come back to talk it out.

He obviously didn't come back.

He turned around to face me and the rest of the class. They all looked between the both of us with wide eyes, anticipating what was going to be said next. Shit, if I was them, I'd have my own bag of popcorn already ready to go. I'm too tired to even care at this point.

''I need to have a chat with you. Just forget about presenting the project, I'll talk to you after class-''

The phone began to ring at his desk. He motioned for me to hold that thought, walking over to the desk and leaning over to pick up the phone. His dark eyes narrowed at the voice on the other side, letting out exasperated 'mhms' in response. He eventually hung up the phone, looking over to me with tired eyes.