Chapter 11

Avery

At the end of the service, Gabriel made his usual greetings to everyone who attended. The Church was pretty much empty besides most of the Lancaster's, my family, and a few elders who have been there from the start. It's been progressively getting emptier over the months, to say the least. They used to bring out more chairs just because so many people were showing up to listen to Gabriel speak, but now... there aren't even enough people to participate in the worship.

My brother sat next to me the whole service. He stared blankly at Gabriel the whole time with this expression on his face that I couldn't really read.

Why was he even here in the first place?

He dismissed this whole fucking church, along with the Lancaster family. I thought maybe he would tell my parents he's not for this anymore, but he still came. He was just quiet the whole time, occasionally looking at the ceiling and towards the exit. Sometimes he'd begin tapping his fingers in the little space between us before counting on his fingers- which I didn't really get. He counted up to twelve before a faint smile spread across his lips, then folded his hands back in his lap.

I don't know why I was so paranoid. Ever since that night, I've just been second-guessing everything. I don't know if he was just doing something to distract himself or what, but I just didn't trust anything he did after last night. I'm probably just being dramatic and shit, but everything about his actions just doesn't seem right. He never acts like this.

''Hello Aren, I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Back from College?'' Gabriel's voice boomed, breaking me out of the thoughts I was in. I jumped at the sound of his voice, his eyes narrowing in my direction out of confusion.

''You good, kid?'' He asked. My parents were looking at me with confusion on their faces- but Aren was staring at Gabriel still. It was just a cold, dead stare that made my stomach sink even further.

''Yeah... yeah, I'm fine.'' I said to him. It sounded like I was not only trying to convince them, but I was trying to convince myself. Gabriel looked at me for a few moments before clearing his throat, motioning for me to stand up and smiled at my parents.

''You mind if I borrow him for a bit? We need some help cleaning up after the service. I'll drop him off once we are done.''

My parents left with Aren shortly after, leaving me with Gabriel and some of his family. Nyx and Eva sat on the stage talking to each other quietly while their mother Precious was sweeping the floor in front of them. Charlotte sat in a rocking chair they brought for her since the pews hurt her back and legs. I guess none of the kids came today, including James.

He doesn't believe in anything, so he doesn't go to church with Luke either.

''Alright, so what's wrong?'' Gabriel asked me. He sat down next to Eva on the stage, bringing their attention to me too.

I felt stuck. It probably isn't a big deal and he's just finding himself at college... besides all the homophobic shit. Maybe he just doesn't feel right in this religion and he wants something new. Maybe he can start attending Matthew's church when he's home?

''Oh, don't worry about us, honey. We are like a second family, especially now that you're kissing up on my great-nephew.'' Precious exclaimed. I felt my face get hot once Charlotte let out a howl of laughter. eventually, the laughter gradually turned into coughs and curses.

''Auntie, I'm right here. You're talking about my son.'' Gabriel muttered to her. Precious placed her hand on her hip, taking her free hand and pointing a finger in my direction.