Chapter 6

James

My papa and dad brought up visiting my uncles after the therapist left last night. The therapist said that it would be good to surround myself more with family and things like that- so they decided on uncle Kyle and uncle Caleb. I haven't seen the baby yet, so I guess it wasn't too bad. 

Avery left for work in the morning, but he told me he'd be back later to spend some time with me and keep me company. 

''So what have you been up to, Jamie? Keeping out of trouble?'' Uncle Kyle asked me, his arms pressed firmly across his chest as we both leaned against the table next to the baby crib. I couldn't help but smile at the baby that laid happily in it, her eyes looking everywhere with curiosity written on her face. 

''Well... I just started going back to school.'' I started. He nodded his head at my words, narrowing his eyes at his restless daughter who began throwing her hands and arms in the air, whines leaking out of her throat as her face twisted in discomfort.

''Caleb makes that same face when he's mad at me...'' He mumbled, pulling himself up from the table and reaching into the crib. He picked up his smaller daughter in his arms, her immediately shoving her face into the crook of his neck. He began patting her back gently as he met eyes with me, running a tongue over his bottom lip before he spoke. 

''Have you been feeling alright with everything? Have you been going to therapy?'' He suddenly asked me. I shrugged my shoulders at the question, letting out a shaky sigh before I spoke. 

''I had a PTSD attack two days ago. I was doing really good, so it's kind of discouraging.'' I admitted. 

''You went through something really traumatic. You can't just expect it to go away, lil' man. It's okay that you're still having these PTSD attacks. You got shot, James. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but I have to be blunt. The fear doesn't go away within a year. Give yourself time to breathe and heal.'' He told me. 

''It's okay to cry over something you thought you processed. It's okay to be hurt.'' He continued.

''Thank you, uncle Kyle. I love you.'' 

''I love you too, Jamie.''

My papa suddenly walked into the room with a smile lingering on his lips, motioning for me to hurry up. I nodded my head, watching as he let out a sigh before he spoke. 

''Come on, curly. I need to go to the grocery store to get some food. We have to get something for Julia too... we promised we would buy her those disgusting peeps-''

''They aren't icky! I like them a lot!'' Julia pouted, crossing her arms across her chest as she narrowed her eyes at my papa. Caleb then followed in behind them, his eyes also narrowed in papa's direction as he stood next to Julia. 

''Peeps slap. I don't know what you have against them.''

''Of course you'd like them, Caleb. Your hair looks like the color of a fucking peep.''

''I'd watch what you say, Gabriel. He's still fired up from his pregnancy.'' Kyle mumbled to himself. Caleb immediately whipped his head around in Kyle's direction, making even my stomach drop from his gaze. Kyle's grey eyes immediately widened as his husband crossed his arms as he walked over to the both of us.