Chapter 2

James

''Are you going to be free tonight, James?'' Avery asked me as I leaned over on the gym bench, reaching down to begin tying my shoes. Ayran stood next to him as they both loomed down for me, waiting for a response.

''I think I'm having dinner with some family. Why, what's going on?'' I asked finally, finishing tying my shoes and meeting eyes with the both of them. They furrowed their eyebrows in my direction, Ayran crossing his darker arms across his chest and pulling his gaze off of me.

''I guess Harper really didn't tell you. She's having a party tonight at her house.'' Ayran said to me, earning a slap on the back from Avery. He let out a whine of protest as he held up his hands towards him, walking towards my left side away from him.

''You're making it sound like she didn't want to invite him. Trust me, James. She really wanted to. You just haven't been at school that much and she didn't want to bother you more than she does.'' He explained to me. I shrugged my shoulders at the statement, taking my eyes away from him and letting out a deep sigh. I wasn't upset over the fact she didn't invite me... I was upset over the fact she feels like she bothers me.

I think I'm the one who bothers her, if anything.

We broke up a month after everything happened. I didn't really do anything besides lay in bed and try my hardest not to fall asleep because of the nightmares. I didn't spend that much time with her anymore and I wasn't affectionate like I used to. Don't get me wrong, I love her a lot. I just... don't have it in me anymore. She was completely understanding and agreed that I needed time to work on myself. That maybe one day we will get back together.

She's still one of my best friends, regardless if we had dated for about a year or two.

''She doesn't bother me. I wish she didn't think like that...  I guess it's my fault. She's always telling me to tell her how I feel and shit-''

''All girls are like that. They want a man who is vocal with their feelings! Which isn't a bad thing at all.''

''How would you know that, Ayran? Aren't you into men?'' Avery said, a smile appearing on his own lips. Ayran squinted his eyes in his direction, raising a finger towards him.

''So are you! What do you mean!''

They both erupted into laughter at their own words as we made our way out of the boy's changing room and into the gym. The sight of the different kids of my grade stood in my eyesight as they did whatever they pleased- something that wasn't really new for my gym class.

We used to have a strict gym teacher until he got sick. There are rumors that he's dead from a drug overdose, which wasn't surprising. People say that they watched him talk to the wall in gym about different protein shakes that they should try...

''Do you guys wanna play volleyball or something? tennis?''

''The horse girl and the hot Cheeto girl are beefing over there. I think it's best we just stay over here.'' Ayran said to both of us.

Avery and I agreed.

We sat on the bleachers, Ayran and Avery sitting next to each other while I sat one seat below them. My back was against Avery's legs as he began running his fingers through the curls on my head. I didn't stop him as he did so, letting out a deep sigh as I gazed out at the whole gym. Everyone else was playing various sports or sat on the ground, as we usually did. It was kind of nice not being forced to do sports...

''Are you going to Harper's party, Avery?'' I suddenly asked, breaking them both out of their conversation. He shrugged his shoulders at the question, pulling his fingers out of my hair and resting his hands on my shoulders firmly.