Chapter 10

Avery

I woke up to the sound of James snoring in my ear. His face was still in the crook of my neck while his leg was wrapped tightly around me, his mane of hair covering my own eyes. I blew the curls out of my face, only for them to fall back down in my sight.

Man. How am I gonna get up?

I pushed his hair out of my face so I can finally look at him. He was wrapped around my body like a koala bear in his sleep- and I really, really didn't want to wake him up. He looked really content and comfortable... somehow. I don't know how he sleeps in some of the positions I find him in. It reminds me of the one time he fell asleep on the floor of a party we went to- he was lying face down on the ground with his ass up in the air.

...Come to think of it, maybe he was just drunk.

I slowly placed my hand on his thigh, pushing it gently off from my waist along with his arm around my chest. He let out a deep groan of protest as he pulled me closer to him, burying his face deeper into the crook of my neck. I let out a sigh in response, my hands finding their way to his lower back.

''Goodmorning, I'm sorry If I woke you up.'' I whispered to him. He laughed at my words weakly as he lifted his head, his dark brown eyes full of sleep gazing at me like he's done something wrong.

''...I've been awake. I just didn't want you to go.'' He looked at me with those sad eyes again- I almost felt guilty.

''I've been here for days, James. You can't keep me hostage.'' I said playfully. His lips curled into a smile at my words, shaking his head in disagreement.

''I can always try.''

He eventually let me get up and get dressed. He watched me in silence as I got dressed, maintaining eye contact with me as I pulled my shirt over my shoulders. He had a distant stare as he watched me pack up my things after I got dressed.... I almost felt bad. I mean, I knew he was feeling better now. I guess he just feels a little clingy.

Now he knows how I always felt.

"You can come over later if you want to, James." I suggested to him. He shrugged his shoulders at my words, finally pulling himself out of bed. He let out a wince of pain as he reached back behind his neck, furrowing his eyebrows at the new discomfort.

"I have some chores I have to do and some homework... and they probably want to do something. I think my papa is going to the church later." He said to me. I nodded my head at his words, zipping up my backpack once I shoved the last shirt I brought into it.

"Alright. Text me if you need me, okay? I love you." I said. I pulled my backpack over my shoulder before walking over to him, leaning down and placing a kiss on his forehead.

He immediately grabbed ahold of my shirt in response, pressing his own lips to mine. I felt my eyes widen at the quick kiss, watching him pull back with a flustered look on his face.

"...You can go now."

———————————————-

I took a deep breath as I stood in front of the doors of my house. I knew he was in there- and was probably talking shit about me to mom and dad. I didn't want to see him at all.

Ever since he went to college he changed. He started going on about how great it is and how I should reconsider going to college, although I already told everyone I wasn't. I just wanted to pursue my music and that's that. At first, my mom was alright with it and dad didn't really have an opinion. Then he opened his big fucking mouth, and now they keep forcing me to fill out these college applications.