Chapter 5

James

My papa wanted me to stay home today from school, even though I reassured him that I was fine. I slept really good all night to my surprise, even though that PTSD attack was one of my worst.  Avery wanted to stay at the house to make sure I was okay and keep me company, but my papa set up an appointment with the therapist... so It wouldn't make too much sense for him to stay here. We had a test today anyways.

I would have failed it if I went. I hate math with a fucking passion.

I watched as Avery pulled his shirt off of his torso, throwing it into the pile of clothes that sat in the corner of my room. He then walked over to my closet, his eyes narrowing at the selection of shirts and hoodies I had.

''You'd think you would have some darker clothes because of your papa. All I see is nude colors in here.'' He mumbled, reaching in the closet and pulling out a navy blue sweatshirt. I couldn't help but scoff at his words, crossing my arms across my chest as I watched him pull the hoodie over his neck, pulling his arms through the holes and pulling it down his... very toned stomach.

''I don't really care about what I wear, to be honest...'' I mumbled to myself. ''I have a black sweatshirt in the dirty pile if you're that desperate.'' I continued. He rolled his eyes at my words, shaking his head in disagreement as he approached me with his arms spread for a hug. I stood up from my bed, wrapping my arms around his torso and pulled him close to me.

''Try to let yourself open up more this time, alright?'' Avery said to me, pulling himself out of the embrace and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

''I don't know how much more I have to open up, Avery. I've been going to therapy for like... a year now. You'd think I'd be over it by now.'' I said to him. He shook his head in disagreement, the curls following his moments as he found the words to speak.

''You are still doing great and you are doing better. You need to realize that you'll... you'll never get fully better. I won't fully get better. Billy won't. We just have to learn to accept that it happened, I think.'' He said to me.

He's right.

He left after telling me that he'd be back after school to spend the weekend with me and keep me company. It was something we haven't done in a while- spend a few days together back to back. The last time we did that, Billy was there too. The therapist thought it would be good for us to stay together for the time being and talk things out little by little just amongst ourselves.

It helped a little bit.

''Hey sweetie, can I talk to you?'' My dad asked, breaking me out of the train of thought I was in. He was sitting in the doorway of my room with a soft smile lingering on his lips, gazing at me in a way that I knew too well. He always gives me that sympathetic look before I go to therapy, which I expect from him. I nodded my head at his words, patting the space on the bed beside me.

''She's here to talk to you. Your papa asked her to come here for today so you wouldn't have to leave the house.'' He said. I nodded my head at his words, pulling myself up from my bed to make my way down the stairs.

''...Wait, I want to talk to you real quick.'' He said to me. Oh god. He was gonna preach to me about how I shouldn't sneak out to go to parties and all that shit-

''I want you to know I'm not upset with you or your cousins for sneaking out. I can't say the same for your aunt Faith and aunt Melody, but... me and Papa aren't upset. You guys are all mostly 18 and we should have more trust in you, its just...''

''I know.''

Me and Amber were black. Highschool parties equal cops being called most of the time. The triplets were white as hell, but... me and Amber aren't.