Chapter 20

Day of Miranda's Murder

Ghost's POV

Honestly, every second I spend in this place I feel a little guilty.

I don't know if it's from the terrible family dynamic that's going on between this old guy and his kids, but it's starting to make me feel for once. The dude is fucking insane. Had me kill his ex-wife before kidnapping his grandson he never even met... it's like out of a horror movie if you ask me.

I'm just here to carry it out as I said before, no matter how stupid and dramatic it is. He got me a place to hide when the cops almost got me, so I owe him a lot. I will admit though, sometimes I do want to rip off his head and feed it to the idiots in this house that choose to follow him, that hide away and force their kids to live here... but I made a promise to him.

In exchange for being his 'Assassin,' I will have a place to rest. That's all I could ask for after being on the run for five years.

After the boss gave his orders, Aren didn't waste any time picking up Malachi from the desk his grandpa smashed his face into. Yet again, not really a good first impression, even for me.

And I kill people!

We brought him down into the basement, thankfully without any intrusive eyes this time. The halls of the abandoned mansion were empty, although the sound of children's feet creaked in the rooms we passed. They must have been pressing their ears against the door, anticipating any kind of action. I know I would be bored In this place if I were a kid.

I mean, I guess I could kind of understand. My mom was beyond poor, as my dad was a deadbeat and she was kicked out for teen pregnancy. Living on the streets with basically another kid was NOT exactly my idea of fun.

As soon as he heard he knocked his one-night stand up, he ran for the hills! I can't blame him, to be honest. Kids are annoying.

Well, now I don't blame him, since he's dead. I killed him a long time ago.

"Ghost, can you help me out here? I can't get the kid to sit still." Aren asked, breaking me out of my train of thought. The kid was thrashing around against him in the chair, his eyes drenched with tears as he looked between the both of us with fear. I sighed in response, making my way over to both of them.

"NO! GO AWAY, YOU KILLED MY GRANDMA! YOU'RE GONNA KILL ME!" He cried out, throwing his head back as he clenched his fists at his sides, the tears finally streaming down his pink face. Aren flinched in response, pulling his hands back as he looked at him with guilt.

"Seriously? You killed your parents and this is when you're guilty?" I asked him, a hint of resentment lingering in my voice. "I don't know what mommy and daddy did to you, but you don't even know this kid."

"I do know him.'' He replied, watching me kneel down to eye level with Malachi. He turned his head farther away from me in response, his body shaking with anticipation and fear as he waited for my next move. He wasn't even tied down, yet he sat frozen in fear. I motioned for Aren to start tying his wrists down to the wooden chair since he stopped moving when I got closer. Am I THAT scary?

"Look buddy, I don't want to hurt you. You already got your face smashed in by sky daddy up there, I kidnapped you after killing your grandma... man, you're having a rough day!" I exclaimed, Malachi whipping his head around to me in response. His grey eyes had pools of anger in them now, his fists clenched tighter as he tried to reach out for me.

"I think they will hold him down for now, he isn't that strong." Aren mumbled, avoiding eye contact with both of us.

"Oh, screw you man! You're such an insecure piece of shit, why are you working for him? You KNOW what happened with Luke and Gabriel all those years ago, you know he's a manipulator and FUCKING CRAZY!" He screamed out at Aren, his eyes welling up with tears again.