I

Evlyn was in desperate need of work, she was willing to do anything, within reason, for income. The last bit of her saving was gone as she tried to maintain a roof over her head and her basic necessities.

Recently, she was forced to sell her car for much lower than her original asking price and now relied on public transportation and the inconsistent kindness of her friends. Friends, pfft! They were dwindling away as fast her money was, the two that were still around weren't as friendly as before.

It's crazy how fast rumors traveled and how fast people she thought she could trust believed them. She spoke up and now she's being punished, how is that fair?

She had just arrived home from a job interview not feeling very confident that they'd call her back but tried to maintain a sense of optimism anyway. She retrieved her mail eyes darting to the final notice stamp on a few of the envelopes.

"Fuck" she cursed. She trudged up to the third floor of the old apartment building entering her unit. If she didn't lock in a job within the next few days she'd be homeless in a matter of weeks.

She sold her furniture a month ago leaving her with only her bed, a small tv, her old outdated laptop, her phone and her clothes as her only possessions. Evlyn fell onto her bed on the verge of tears but quickly chastised herself before a tear could fall.

"Beggars can't be choosers, I just need to apply to anything at this point and pray I get it." She spoke out loud as she opened her laptop. One of her older neighbors has unlocked Wi-Fi that she mooched occasionally.

She had scoured monster, LinkedIn, indeed, etc for the last two months without any success, hell she even checked Craigslist, that's how desperate she was but even so no one called or emailed her with an offer. Only rejection. Evlyn went so far and to google random jobs in her area and came across an advertisement looking for maids and housekeepers so she submitted an application.

A few hours passed and her stomach started warbling telling her it needed food. She stood from the mess of sheets and pillows stretching then made her way to the kitchen. Fortunately she had food, the local food banks saving her again. She pulled out a small pack of ground beef and made some burger patties then cut up some potatoes for fries.

After she finished cooking she went back to her room ready to fill out more applications when she noticed a new email. Taking a bite of her burger she opened it and nearly choked on the chunk of food in her mouth when she saw that the maid service wanted to interview her tomorrow afternoon.

She replied saying she was available and was sent a second email with everything she would need to locate and get inside the building. It wasn't the job she wanted but she was excited nonetheless to have an interview. Evlyn felt a small wave of relief at having a chance to start working before next month's rent was due and getting back on her feet.

After she ate she took a shower and pulled out a simple, business casual outfit for tomorrow that consisted of a black skirt, a white button up top and a tan sweater to layer over the shirt. She ironed the shirt and skirt, hanging them so they wouldn't get wrinkled before she could wear them.

"Please let me walk out of there with a job tomorrow" she prayed. Although it was only early evening she was tired, old fashion pavement hitting for work was taking its toll on her body and mind. Smelling of vanilla and lavender she slinked into her bed quickly falling asleep with a glimmer of hope peaking through the cracks of her crumbling life.

Evlyn slept with the tiniest smile on her face completely unaware of what she was about to walk into.