31 | losing a life for a cause

CHAPTER 31,

LOSING A LIFE FOR A CAUSE

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

AFTER THE SMOKE bombs were dropped down to their location and the Flag Smashers took this as their chance to take off running, therefore leaving the four heroes standing there while frantically trying to figure something out. That's until Sam uses his high-tech gear to search through the smoke and find their footprints. He leads the others in the direction that they need to go.

"Sharon, we're underground." Keela informs over the earpiece. "We entered the tunnel on William. Heading south."

"Looks like they split up." Sam states.

John Walker takes this information and separates himself from the friends where he then disappears down one of the long hallways. Sam just stops in his tracks with a frown at his actions. They still don't trust the man completely due to the fact none of them have really gotten along, but they understand how he's finally trying to follow their plan against the Flag Smashers.

"I'll go with him." Bucky volunteers.

Bucky then turns and runs down that same hallway to chase after the blond, aiming to keep an eye on him to ensure that nothing will go wrong. This leaves Keela and Sam to continue down the pathway straight ahead of them. They keep their eyes peeled for any sign to where the Flag Smashers could've possibly disappeared to, even if it's the smallest of clues they can get.

After minutes of searching around and finding nothing, two gunshots ripples loudly through the tense air as they bounces off the broken concrete walls. Both of the adults spin around on their heels as their head snap towards the direction the sound came from. Their feet instantly take them running towards the room as adrenaline floods through their bodies, almost fearing what they will come across.

There, Sharon can be found laying on the floor in pain with blood seeping through her shirt as groans of pain exit her mouth. It's clear that one of the bullets hit her in the stomach, while another one has killed a man laying lifeless nearby. Karli remains stood towering over the blonde haired woman with the gun gripped tightly at hand.

"Stay back." Karli orders at the mere sight of them.

"What's next, huh? You kill then this time, then one hundred next? Where does it end, Karli?" Sam questions. "Please, let me help you."

"Don't try and manipulate me." Karli angrily says.

The redhead aims the gun straight between Sharon's eyes with the intention to pull the trigger and kill her. But Sam uses his jetpack to fly forwards and tackle the young girl to the ground before she can even get the chance. Keela then rushes forwards and wraps her arms around Sharon's torso, pulling the blonde backwards and towards a more safer area.

"I'm okay." Sharon assures.

"No, you're bleeding." Keela states. "Just me try to help you, okay?"

Sharon nods. "Okay."

The brunette begins to apply pressure onto the bullet wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding, trying to be both careful but firm with her actions. All Keela wants to do is help her friend as much as possible while no one professional is around. The injury doesn't seem bad to the point where death is a high risk possibility, but she just needs to be certain and tend to it right now.

Meanwhile, Sam and Karli are going against one another hand to hand. The young girl is repeatedly throwing multiple hits as begs for Sam to fight back leave her mouth. A mixture of emotions swirl around in Karli's stomach; guilt, anger, desperation, hope. The adult only ignores each plea and continues rising back to his feet, refusing the idea of staying down and appearing as weak.

The shield is then hit out of his hand and falls on the concrete ground nearby. The sound of metal rings loudly through the air as it spins to a gradual stop. Karli then leans down and picks up the gun back up that had previously fell out of her hand, pointing the end of the barrel straight at Sam. This only causes panic to rise up in Keela where her stomach churns at the sight of her best friend being held at gunpoint.

The redhead's gaze stay locked onto Sam as many choices run through her mind of what could possibly be the correct choice to make in this situation. A hint of hesitation can be seen flickering over her eyes at the sight of the heroic man standing in front of her unarmed, almost willing to let her shoot. But Karli refuses let her emotions interrupt the very reason why she started this revolution. Her jaw tightens as her eyes narrow, finger threatening to pull down on the trigger and let the bullet soar through the air.

Sharon slips her hand underneath the jacket of the suit, allowing her fingers wrap around a gun located in the holster of the trousers that she's currently wearing. She makes sure that her grip is steady and ready to pull the trigger quickly. Then, the weapon is pulled out and directed straight at Karli.

"Sharon, no!" Keela shouts.

The blonde doesn't listen. She wastes no time to fire the gun multiple times at the young girl. The weapon in Karli's hand falls to the ground from the shock of the bullets embedding themselves deep into her skin. Her body then grows unstable as she sways slightly, crashing to the ground with a loud thud as groans of pain leave her mouth. Sam runs over to Karli in an instant, cradling her head while trying to apply pressure onto the wound. Keela makes her way over to them both and attempts to help, but she knows that it's no use.

"Sam, she's losing too much blood." Keela states.

"Keep trying." Sam urges.

There's more than one bullet wound due to the multiple shots that were fired from the gun, meaning that there's an extreme amount of blood leaving Karli's body. The red substance seeps into her dark coloured clothing and covers both of their hands as they continue to try save her. Neither of them (more specifically Sam) wanted anyone else to die.

"I'm sorry." Karli whispers, guilt laced in her voice.

Choked sobs begin to leave the young girl's mouth as an unbearable amount of pain spreads throughout her body. Her now softened eyes stare up at the man who's done nothing but tried to help her for the greater good of society, continuing to try despite the many times she's fought back. Sam understands why the redhead did all of this but he believes that there's a better way they could've spread their message. Innocent people did not have to die for this cause.

Then, Karli's rapid breathing comes to a gradual stop before ceasing altogether. Her body suddenly becomes limp and heavy in Sam's arms as he continues cradling her. Keela reaches out and gently closes Karli's eyes shut to finally put her at rest. Sharon just watches them carefully from a distance with no regret for what she did. The two understand but the sight of someone so young losing their life makes their heart ache.

"We need to go." Sam quietly says.

"You take Karli." Keela tells him. "I'll help Sharon and make sure she's able to walk."

Sam simply nods in response before sweeping the lifeless girl up from the cold ground, beginning to make his way through the dark building. Keela follows closely behind with Sharon's arm slung over her shoulder and a supportive hand at the waist. She's trying to help the blonde walk as stable as possible, avoiding crashing to the ground and causing more pain to the injury.