33 | promises

CHAPTER 33,

PROMISES

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

BUCKY HAD JUST spoken to the person he was dreading the least for he had grown to become friends with the elderly man. He had told Yori about how he, the Winter Soldier, had murdered his son without having a choice to make — he was brainwashed and had to follow orders. The apology given wasn't necessarily accepted, nor was it denied. But it's clear that Yori is hurting at the news for he finally got the truth about what happened to his loved one.

This obviously made Bucky upset because, within a matter of seconds, a friendship that he grew to care so deeply about over the past few months found itself crumbling to pieces. The elderly man was always there as a distraction to the horrors of reality and the trauma he would try to hide deep inside his mind, almost locking it away and hoping for the best results. Yori treated him the same as he would everyone else, meaning he wasn't scared to be around Bucky like some people would be.

So, Keela decided to take her boyfriend out on a tranquil walk in hopes to help him feel better. They walk down the street hand in hand with the wind gently blowing against their skin, ruffling their hair slightly as it happily whistles in their ears. They had even stopped by the place where Dr Raynor works as a therapist so that Bucky is able to give her a present as a kind way of saying 'thank you' for her work.

As well as that, he leaves behind the notebook of crossed off names for the doctor to view. This is to show just how far he's come with coping against the nightmares and making amendments to those he wronged so badly. It hurt at first since it's something that belonged to Steve Rogers himself, but Bucky knows that he needs to let go. Plus, the shield is still around so it's not like he lost everything of Steve's.

Keela decided to also give the woman a small gift, ensuring that hers is separated and not mixed together with his one. She knows that she most likely won't be returning to her sessions anytime soon when Bucky and Sam are both in her life for the greater good. The two men have helped the brunette more than they know, to the point where she's unsure of how she could ever repay them for the advice and happiness they've given to her. They're both Keela's best friends; one through friendship and one through a romantic relationship.

The couple soon sit down on a nearby bench with the beautiful nature surrounding them, Keela pulling out a book she freshly brought today on a little shopping spree with Bucky where she then starts to read it. Her head rests against his shoulder as his arm remains wrapped around her waist where he holds her close. Blue eyes will flick between the brunette and the book she's holding, following the storyline as he reads the words neatly sprawled across the white pages.

After many minutes pass of them sitting in a peaceful silence, Bucky turns to face the brunette woman located in the seat beside him. Her head shifts at his actions as brown eyes meet blue ones. A small smile can suddenly be seen tugging at the corners of his lips. Confusion only washes over Keela at the sight of him looking at her like that, unsure of what she's done — not that she's complaining when he looks to be so happy.

"I got you a present." Bucky states.

"Bucky..." Keela begins, trailing off. "You really didn't have to."

"I wanted to." Bucky insists.

The brunet fumbles through the pockets of his jeans where he then pulls out a black jewellery box that is no bigger than the palm of someones hand. Bucky  opens it up to reveal a pristine silver ring sitting in the middle of a white cushion. Keela's jaw only drops at the sight of how gorgeous it looks, hands instantly rising to cover her mouth in shock.

"I'm not asking you to marry me just yet, but this is a promise ring." Bucky informs.

"What are you promising me, Barnes?" Keela playfully asks as she looks back at him.

"I promise that I won't ever leave you again." Bucky tells her. "No more 'see you laters'. I will stay by your side and love you even through death. I will fight as your partner in crime. I am willing to wait until we're ready to start the family we've always dreamed to have together."

"Including a white cat named Alpine?" Keela questions in excitement.

"Yes, including Alpine." Bucky confirms with a light laugh as he remembers how she adores animals.

"I promise the same thing back to you." Keela states.

Bucky smiles at the sound of her returning the promise, heart skipping a beat. He then proceeds to reach out and gently take her hand into his, slipping the silver ring onto her finger. It fits perfectly and only makes him relieved that he got the correct size. Keela stares down at her hand with amazement of how beautiful the piece of jewellery is and how he managed to find the time to sneak away to buy it.

The brunette turns her attention back onto Bucky before cupping his check and leaning forwards, pressing her lips against his. He doesn't hesitate to move his lips in sync with hers, almost melting into her simple touch. The man places a hand onto her waist and pulls her body closer towards him. They both soon break the kiss but Keela quickly steals another kiss from him for a brief moment.

"I love you, Kee." Bucky whispers as he smiles down at her in awe. "And I'm glad you like the present."

"I love you." Keela repeats as butterflies fill her stomach, pausing. "Oh, by the way, Sam has invited us to hang out with the rest of his town. They're having a cookout."

"You're going, right?" Bucky asks.

Keela nods. "Of course."