Chapter 38: Niall

Did I just ask my ex wife to have dinner with me?...And did she agree to it?

"Fucking moron," I grumbled to myself in the elevator. "I'm a moron. Why was I stumbling with my words like that? I sounded like an idiot, I bet. Oh, now, I'm talking to myself. That's just peachy."

I was humiliated. I hated that I almost had the urge to kiss her and how I kept correcting myself. Roxanne knew me for years, she most likely knew what I was trying to say. I still sounded like a fool though. I got into my car and drove home, thinking about her.

When she saw me through the window of her restaurant, my heart nearly stopped. I could see all her emotions, especially the love that was clearly there. I couldn't believe that she went out of the restaurant just to look for me too. At first, I had plans to leave the moment those cars went in the way. Then, when I saw her looking around for me, I couldn't help but turn around and go back to her.

She looked the same, but wore different attire. Her outfits were more business like. Then again, she was visiting her restaurants so maybe she needed to dress like that. When I suggested that fancy restaurant, it was only because I saw what she was wearing. She had the black blazer, those white button up shirts, dress pants that went up towards her mid torso, and gold jewelry. I was so used to seeing Roxanne in jeans and black shirts before she started her business. Once and awhile she would even just wear baggy shirts and leggings. A part of me wondered if she still dressed like that or if that was her still now.

But when she told me that she rather get pizza than eat somewhere fancy, I felt a bit relieved because that meant parts of Roxanne hadn't changed in the three years.

I know I didn't change either. Seeing Roxanne biting her lip made me realize that still turned me on. She still had that affect on me after all this time. Knowing that she was going to be here in Ireland during some parts of the years made me nervous. Then again, I shouldn't be laying low to avoid her. I had to live my life too.

Once I got home, I immediately went into the shower and then got ready for bed. I laid there staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep. My kind kept spinning. I was pissed off when I realized the sky was getting lighter and I didn't even get a moment of sleep.

"Fuck," I grumbled, covering my face with a pillow. I closed my eyes and tried my best to fall asleep, but that was interrupted when my phone rang. I groaned, reached over, and answered it. "Hello?" I grumbled with my face still in the pillow.

"Niall?"

I moved away from the pillow, "Hi Mum." I looked at the time. "It's seven in the morning. Why are you up so early?"

"Oh, I like do wake up early to do some gardening. It's a new hobby of mine. It's really relaxing."

"I see," I sighed.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Are you sick? You don't sound too well."

"No, I'm not sick. I didn't sleep yet."

"What? Why not? Did you have a late shift?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. "Not exactly. I sort of ran into an old friend and we just caught up."

"You met with a friend and stayed up all night?"

"No, not all night. I just stayed up once I got home. I couldn't go to sleep, that's all."

"Oh, for a moment I thought you were with a girl. Now, Niall, I know that it's been years and you're single, but I just don't like the idea of you finding someone else. I know that sounds selfish for me to say that, but I just adore Roxanne. I just feel like you two were meant to be."