Chapter 28: Niall

"Whoa, she did a number on you," Blackbourne laughed as I walked out.

My lip was busted and slightly bruised. I'm pretty sure stomach as bruised too. I shrugged, "It was worth it, seeing her all riled up like that."

"I don't doubt it," Blackbourne laughed. "You did good, Niall. Now, what's the next step for you?"

"Get my shit out of her place before she burns it."

"There's a hotel you can stay at that I own. I'll give the hotel manager a call. You deserve one hell of a suite for what you did."

"Yeah, I was preparing myself for the three day wait period. I didn't think it would be this soon."

"Well, my lawyer is very good at what I tell him to do. So, he prepared it sooner. It was going to happen anyway."

"I suppose you're right. Listen, I better get out of here before she starts burning my stuff, if she's not already."

"Yeah, go ahead and go. I'll give you a call when your room is ready."

"Thanks," I said, shaking his hand. I nodded at Luther before I headed back to Roxanne's. I really didn't think she was going to hit me, but I deserved it. I broke her trust. I should've known she wasn't going to be as understanding. I lied to her and brought her business into my investigation.

A part of me knew that she wasn't going t forgive me, yet, I still did it. I accepted that I was going to risk losing Roxanne. In fact, I had no doubt in my mind that she would tell me to fuck off and that she'd never want to see me again, and for some reason, I still did it.

Could she blame me for doing it though? I wanted to be out of this investigation so that I could be with her. I wanted her to be safe from harm. Blackbourne was going to try to get her business either way. If she didn't give it up, Blackbourne could've sent someone to threaten Roxanne or to even kill her. In a way, I saved Roxanne from the worst.

I opened the door to the apartment to see Carl and Roxanne talking in her office. She glared at me for a moment and continued to talk to Carl. He handed her a paper and she studied it. After a moment, she got up and folded her arms. I could tell that Carl was trying to assure her about something, but she was too tense. I doubt that she was really listening to a word he was saying to her.

Suddenly, Roxanne stormed over to the door and opened it. "Quit looking over here and pack up!"

"If you could just calm down," I started.

"I don't want to hear anything from you!" Roxanne snapped. "Get the fuck out of my home right now!"

"Rox, damn it, listen to me! I did what I had to do. I needed your club to gain Blackbourne's trust. I need to do whatever it takes to get out of this. I'm tired of working for him. I was doing this for us! The faster I can get this done, the better it'll be for the both of us. Blackbourne shouldn't be in the streets, Rox! You know that. Do you want another situation like Will and his father? Do you want to be put in that danger again? I'm trying to help you! I'm doing my job to keep you and others safe."

"You could've done it without the club!"

"Yeah, I could've done it, Rox, but I didn't. I get this club is like a baby to you, but face reality that it's not a baby. It's just a business. You need to realize that no matter what that club will never fill that emptiness you feel because it's not our son."

She stormed over to me, ripped off her engagement and wedding ring, and threw it at me. I caught it and stared at them before I looked at her. "It's either you pack your shit and leave or I throw you out with nothing but whatever you have on you right now. You have ten minutes." She walked back into the office and closed the door.