xix. better communication

CHAPTER NINETEEN
"better communication"

CHAPTER NINETEEN"better communication"

✧༺✦✮✦༻∞ ∞༺✦✮✦༻✧

"SO, WHO DID YOU SAY YOU WERE STUDYING WITH TONIGHT?" GERARD ASKED ALLISON AS HE SAT DOWN IN HIS CHAIR IN THE SCHOOL'S OFFICE. He looked at his granddaughter questioningly who only looked at him nervously.

"Just Lydia and Haven. We're prepping for our world history midterm." She explained gulping slightly.

"World history was one of my favorites. Especially military history. Ever hear the phrase, 'know thy enemy?'" Gerard asked her, staring at her a little too intensely.

"It's from the art of war by sun tzu." Allison answered.

"Very good. Know what it means?" He then asked, leaning back in his seat as she look down nervously.

"In order to win a battle, one must know everything they can about their enemy." Allison said, slowly bringing her head up to look at him.

He tilted his head at her, "Right again. Your father and I happen to be have that very problem. We've got an enemy about which we know next to nothing. It's killed one of our own, among others." He explained.

"I've heard." Allison whispered, trying to keep her composure.

"Did you hear Jackson Whittemore didn't show up to school today?" He asked her.

Allison paused, clasping her hands together in her lap. "He didn't?" It was quite obvious she was extremely nervous and Gerard was seeing right through it.

"His parents called, and so did the police. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?" He asked, a small smirk twisting onto his features as she remained quiet but shook her head. "Well, let me tell you what I know. I know that a teenagers first instinct is to protect their friends. And I believe my granddaughter would always want to protect her friends, even if it meant lying."

He stood up, slowly walking around his desk until he was standing right behind her. "So, I want to ask one more question, and this time, with a small advantage." He pulled her hair back, placing two fingers on the side of her neck to feeling her pulse.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to get a sense of your pulse. Think of it as a game. All you have to do is tell the truth." He told her, leaning down as he kept his fingers pressed to her pulsing neck. "Do you know anything about Jackson being missing?"

"No." Allison lied, keeping her heart rate and pulse as calm as she could.

"Is he in trouble?"