Hit Back

He looked up and blinked twice or more to figure out the hazy vision.

His body felt like it was tied with steel wires all over and his throat was burning like fire. He could still taste the smoke at the back of his tongue when he tried to move.

He knew a few wires connected his body to the machine that stood beeping beside him. But strokes on his hand made him pull back to reality. His eyes drifted sideways at the strokes on his hand.

Someone stood beside him, he couldn't quite make out if they stood or sat, holding his hands and stroking it gently.

He blinked twice harder, slit his eyes and immediately his gaze widened upon seeing who it was.

She sat beside him and stroked his hand but hadn't seen him wake up yet. Her head was dropped low.

Jisun pov

I woke up few hours earlier than him and was cleared from the doctors that I'm out of danger.

The first thing I asked after gaining conscious was to know how he was doing. They told me he was still unconscious and the smoke he inhaled for saving me during the final phase was very toxic. So he could barely breathe through his lungs that almost poisoned his brain.

The moment I heard the news, there was only one thing in my head - I have to see him, right now.

I saw him lying still, on his bed with a ventilator mask on his face and lifeless. I opened the door and walked to him. Every step I took towards him felt like years, for I was trying to hold in the lump that was forming inside my throat.

I sat beside him and held his hands that were ice cold but I could still feel the warmth from him when I held it.

My heart felt heavy when I saw him that way, all because of me, to save me and to bring me to life.

Guilt filled up my eyes and I put my head down letting it out.

Just then the grip on my hands got firm and It moved but not mine, his. He entangled his hands with mine making me immediately lift my head up and dart to him.

Even though his mask covered half his face, I knew he was smiling at me and I smiled through pain back.

"Why?" The words escaped unknowingly but barely in a whisper.

He still smiled while his eyes dropped a tear down his cheek on the pillow.

"You didn't have to do this. I can't afford to let you die for me" I mumbled half crying.

He shook his head lightly and his hands grew on mine more firm this time.

I understood his gesture. No words no sounds and no letters simply his gesture told me that he would even die to keep me alive.

Enough. My eyes holding onto the tear film with great difficulty now broke down and flooded my cheeks as I rested my head on his hands.

I could feel his hands slowly but weakly trace to my head and caress it.

I liked his passion for me. I liked the way he put himself in danger for me. I started to believe that I like him.

Just then the door to his ward opened and a few doctors with nurses walked in.

"Madam Rounds. Please wait outside while we examine the patient" one doctor asked me to leave.

I quietly nodded and tried to free my hands from him but he held on tight.

I leaned closer,
"I won't be gone long" and kissed his forehead allowing him to free my hand and stepped out for the doctors to do their job.

I waited outside in the corridor, when a limping silhouette,  small but muscular, approached and sat beside me.