15- Old Acquaintances

The two  laid there for a while neither wanting to fall asleep, Arthur couldn’t stand the silence and before he realised what he was saying he had already said it, “Merlin, how is it that sorcerer like you can be so heartfelt and loyal and yet Morgana and Mordred turned so evil?” Arthur asked, Merlin was stunned by the question but after a few seconds of silent thought replied,

“Morgana was heartfelt and loyal,  just to the wrong side of people and goals. Morgana did not know of her magic until much later, her dreams frightened her as did the fact that she lived in a kingdom under the law of a king that despised magic. Fear lead to hate especially for Uther and after finding out he was her father, it was a sickening thought to her but greater fuelled the want to rule the land herself. She didn’t know how to hide her secret like me and didn’t use her magic for a purpose. I… I could have helped her understand… I should have but the destiny that followed entwined us both scared me. I had many chances to finish her off but I always hoped that she could still change her ways, used them for good not evil.”

“Merlin you try to see the good in everyone and that’s something few people can do.” Arthur said encouraging him to go on, eager to find out more and understand.

“Kilgharrah,  the dragon, also told me that but sometimes I don’t know whether it’s a blessing or a curse.” His voice wavered and Merlin sighed. “What about Mordred?” Arthur asked.

“Mordred was destined to be the one who tried to kill you, ever since he was a child. I now see so many ways that I could’ve stopped him but every decision I made lead him closer and closer to his destiny. He turned to Morgana in the end as they both sought the same thing, to fit in to be normal. Even I craved that, just the need to share my secret with someone to be wanted and to be accepted, I just didn’t see how turning evil was a way to do that, it makes people fear you not love you. There is so much beauty and wonder in magic out there Arthur, not all of it’s bad, you just need to know where to look.” Merlin’s voice grew softer and softer, his head dropped onto the pillow and he had fallen asleep. Arthur looked at him once more watching him sleep so peacefully, his face was worry free and he always slept with a small smirk on his pale pink lips. Arthur turned around facing the opposite direction, pulling the covers over his shoulder, “Goodnight Merlin, my sorcerer.” He whispered smiling to himself as he too let sleep take him into its depths.

-

Morning had come and the sun was only just on its rise, both Merlin and Arthur slept soundly, a ray of sun shone through the small gap at the opening of the tent. Most unexpectedly a small pebble flew through the gap and hit Merlin’s face, irritating him in sleep, he brushed it off, turned and continued to sleep. Though seconds later five more pebbles flew through and hit him in the back. Merlin awoke and jumped to his feet, not sensing any danger but doing so anyway. He saw 3 shadows outside of the tent, they were giggling as they ran off out of sight. Merlin laughed to himself watching the children run as he stepped out of the tent the aroma of different scented candles filled his nose and he watched as people went about attending to their homes and talking with friends and family.

Merlin decided to look for some fresh herbs for Arthur’s wound so he could redress it when he awoke, which will be a while from now, Merlin thought to himself as he looked over to see the king happily snoring away. He walked to the side of the camp grounds and picked various herbs which grew in abundance around the camp.

“Well if it isn’t the most powerful warlock of them all.”  Said someone behind Merlin causing him to jump, he turned to see a brown haired boy around his age staring at him. Merlin walked up to him so they were eye to eye, “Damion.”  Merlin said straight faced to the other.  “Merlin.”  He replied in the same tone. Damion cracked a smile and it grew even larger when Merlin did so too, both embraced in a tight friendly hug. “It’s so good to see you again Merlin, It’s been so long.” He laughed, Merlin with him, “yeah, too long.”  They pulled away smiling widely, “I can’t believe you’re here, just wait  till  Alister finds out, he can’t wait to show you his new beasts.” Damion said eagerly pulling Merlin with him, “Ali still fixated on his mystical creatures?” Merlin walked with him, he knew Arthur wouldn’t be up for a long time yet, it was hard enough to get him up on a normal day in the afternoon so there was no  hope when he was sick at this hour of the morning.

Merlin and Damion walked more into the camp where they found a boy who was even skinnier than Merlin and just under his height, he had thin, short white hair that brought out his light blue eyes and he wore a faded light brown scarf over an old white shirt and brown pants. He stood over large and wooden box talking to something inside. He turned towards the two men and his face lit up immediately.

“Oh my dragons! Merlin?! My god it’s good to see you!” He ran towards Merlin and jumped at him, wrapping his arms around Merlin as Merlin returned the gesture. “Yes it is me Alister and it’s good to see you to again. I heard you have some new pets.” Merlin said and followed Alister and Damion over to the box. He looked inside and saw 3 small beasts that looked very similar to dragons the three dragons like creatures were all different colours one was red, one was a dark blue and one was light brown. They made a high pitched yawning sound as Merlin looked at them and they looked back at him happily. He picked up the blue one and it cuddled into his chest. “They’re called dragoes,” Alister began eagerly, he always had new information about a new magical creature, “they’re distant relatives of dragons, hence the name, they don’t speak or breathe fire but they do light up their body like a lantern and increase their body heat to a certain degree when they want to. They’re very affectionate and the best bit is they won’t get any bigger than a medium sized dog.” Alister finished, his head raised high, proud of his researched knowledge. Jordan and Alister bent down and picked up the other two dragoes, Jordan had the brown dragoe and as soon as it was in his arms it darted up and wrapped around his neck like a scarf. Merlin laughed, “Gosh I’ve missed you two.”

Merlin hadn’t seen his friends for months, not since both Jordan and Alister had snuck into Camelot for supplies which they collected with the help of Merlin who usually met them at the camp on his days off. They first met when Merlin was venturing to Camelot from Ealdor. He  stayed at this camp for a few days before he continued to Camelot,  he had  made great friends with the  two and they kept in contact over the years through meet-ups, letters and very rarely, but occasionally, through telepathy when nearby.  The three laughed and talked until late afternoon, sitting by the lake not far from the camp eating fruits for lunch, their dragoes around their necks or on their laps. They had spent their time sharing stories and catching up on each other’s lives, “So what’s this little guy’s name then?” Merlin asked, gesturing to the blue dragoe that slept on his lap.

“I don’t know, you tell me?” Alister smirked at Jordan.

“Why? It’s yours isn’t it?” Merlin asked confused

“Well not anymore. Consider it as an early birthday present, a week in advance, from us.” Jordan smirked. “C’mon we know you’ve got the power to name it, we heard about Aithusa.”

Merlin looked down to the blue dragon, it was his, but what would Arthur say?  He was pretty sure Arthur would banish him from Camelot anyway so why not? “Thankyou so much you two, I can’t believe you remembered that my birthday’s in a week. I barely remembered it myself, as I don’t normally get time to celebrate it.” Jordan looked offended

“How dare you think so little of us, of course we remembered.” Jordan mocked, “Now name it, you damn dragon lord.”

Merlin laughed and looked down to the dragoe who was now looking expectantly up at him as if knowing it was all about him.  Merlin looked into his eyes full of light and the two seem to connect mentally. “Vanlith” Merlin whispered and his eyes lit up like fire, as did the dragoe’s. Alister took a book from the shoulder bag he carried everywhere and flicked through the pages, “Valith, the gentle hearted, nice, he suits you then. Can’t wait to see what your buddy says about him. We still have yet to meet this royal prat of yours.”

“Speaking of royal prat, I better get back to him, see you guys at supper.” Merlin stood and Valith curled around his neck, he waved as he walked off back to his tent.

A/N: Hi guys thanks  for reading as always. You have no idea how  much happiness I get just to know your reading my fic. As you can see I'm somewhat venturing off with the story and any type  of feedback would be most appreciated and plus I love hearing from you. Till  next time. -TJ