One Last Time- 22

Camelot

Evening had fallen once again upon the kingdom and still no progress on the search for the king was made. Guinevere sat alone upon the thrown, her head resting back against it going through everything she knew in her head. She knew it had been a while since the battle and since the king was last seen. She knew the castle was giving up hope as more and more people stood outside the castle each night, their candles lit as they mourned together, even she was beginning to give up hope. She knew now of Merlin's powers and of the good he did and she knew that he had won the battle for them, sorcery was not always evil and even if Arthur was not found the kingdom had not come to peril. Her grief had begun to fade and with it her hope for Arthur's return, she still loved him but not as much as she used to, he always spent more time with his kingdom. He talked more with Merlin than what he did with her. Her grief was traded for the worries of her new found life growing inside her, she alone would have to raise this child without a father and this child would be the new heir to the thrown after she has passed. This child is the hope for the kingdom.

Her attention was drawn as the doors of the throne room opened, Sir Leon stood awaiting entrance at the door in which Gwen gave with the nod of her head. Leon walked in, his head bowed, "You wished to see me my lady?" Leon asked.

Gwen straightened in her chair and inhaled deeply still unsure of the decision she was about to make. "Yes Leon I did. I know that you and your knights have worked tirelessly to find the king and I know it's been without progress." She said softly as she looked down, not meeting his eye. "You are to conduct one last search at dawn tomorrow. If you do not find him, then we shall announce him as passed." She finished, digging her nails into the sides of her chair. Leon looked at her in shock but said nothing, he could see the weight of this decision upon her shoulders and he also knew that this search could not go on for ever. He met her eyes and with a bow he turned and left the throne room, ready to announce the order to the knights.

Most of the knights had already accepted the idea of the king's passing, most except for one in particular. He sat alone in the corner, sharpening his sword readying himself next search. His face had sunken and his eyes were dark from the sleep that nightmares had deprived him of. He had lost too much he couldn't lose his king as well. He jumped slightly when one of the knights next to him rested his hand on his shoulder, "Percival. Are you okay?" the knight asked. Percival just shrugged it off and faintly nodded. All the knights knew what he had lost, his closest friend, maybe something more than that. He had come possibly the closest out of all the knights to finding Arthur using his old tracks but they mysteriously disappeared upon a cleared hilltop. The knights had found him wondering alone in the woods on one of their searches, dirt on his hands, dried blood on his armour and tears still rolling down his face even days after the loss of his friend, Gwaine. Needless to say he didn't want to be found.

The knights quietened down as Sir Leon entered the room and repeated the orders the queen had given him. Percival had heard from the corner the news but stopped listening as Leon gave his words of encouragement. His grip tightened on the hilt of his sword as his knuckles turned white and his jaw tightened, he was not going to give up. Not now. Not ever.

A/N: Hey all, sorry I haven't updated in a while but I'm sure you all managed. I swear the next chapter won't be as far away. As always, sorry for any spelling mistakes, you can all see how bad my spelling is by now and for that I'm sorry. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, please comment as feedback is much appreciated and I love hearing from you. Yes. You. Whoever is reading this you are most welcome to comment or even message me. Thankyou, I hope you all have a good  day, night (or whatever it is cus 3am counts too).