Chapter 1/ Arthur's Flight

A/N : Hello, this is my first fanfic ever so please forgive me for any mistakes or if i just plainly suck. This fic starts off at Morgana's death, Arthur does survive in this one just to clarify. Please forgive me for any mistakes, there are a few.  I own none of the merlin characters and the picture is not mine. Have fun reading!

Merlin slowly drew the blood drenched blade from Morgana's still warm, slender body and dropped her on the moist ground. "Goodbye Morgana" he said more to himself than anyone, after years of protecting Arthur from the high priestess, who continuously managed to penetrate Camelot's forces, he couldn't believe she was finally gone for good, no longer a threat to the kingdom. Merlin stared at her body for a moment but quickly regained himself yet again realising there were more pressing matters at hand. He walked back over to Arthur and started to pick him up as Arthur stared at him with full astonishment, Merlin looked him in the eye. "You've brought peace at last" he said to Merlin.  They stared at each other for a moment, both shocked at what had just happened. "Come on, we need to go" said Merlin as he pulled up Arthur from his position.

Merlin headed for the nearest opening in the trees, he felt Arthur begin to drag his feet along the ground. He knew they weren't going to get there in time, not without help. He walked out a few more metres then placed Arthur against a tree.

"We need to get to the lake" Merlin said, crouched by Arthur's side.

"Merlin..." Arthur grunted as he raised a weak hand and placed it softly on Merlin's cheek."not without the horses, It's too late." Merlin smiled at him

 "Do you trust me" Merlin said as he started to take off Arthur's armour on his chest so only his loose cloth shirt and pants remained.

 "Of course I do. M-Merlin, what are you doing?" Arthur asked, his heart began to beat faster and he felt a flush creep up his neck, he didn't mind, he was going to die anyway. Merlin noticed the blush and smiled, he placed a hand on his chest, he looked into Arthur's questioning eyes as his own turned gold he began to chant. Arthur began to feel a little stronger. Merlin jolted back and panted "Merlin, what did you do?" Arthur hissed now worried for his friend, he still couldn't stand without help. "I Just... gave you some of my energy. Don't worry it drains me a little but I'll be fine" Merlin said and continued to pant. Once he caught his breath he stood leaving Arthur by the tree. Arthur jumped as he began to yell "O drakon,  e mala soi ftengometh tesd'hup anankes! Erkheo." He ran back to a wide-eyed king and picked him up getting Arthur to wrap his arms around him. The wind around them began to pick up as a dragon flew over the trees and began to land by Merlin.

Arthur drew back in panic "it's- it's the dra-dra-"

"Yes Arthur it's the dragon'' Merlin said softly as he  looked down to a frightened Arthur. "You said you trusted me, Yeah?" Merlin said, Arthur nodded "well, then trust me, he is a friend and he's gonna help me, just don't talk and let me handle this" he finished.  Arthur gave him a long wary look then looked to the ground. Kilgharrah landed and smiled down at the two and bowed his head to merlin.

"Kilgharrah, I would not have summoned you if there was any other choice.  I have one last favour to ask."

"You wish for me to take you to the lake, see it done Merlin" He said calmly back as he bowed his head for them to get on. Arthur was heavily reluctant, Merlin to his  hand and encouraged him as Arthur looked into his eyes seeking guidance. Arthur stared into those bright blue eyes, full of joy and trust, knowing that he would be okay. Eventually they both got on.  

As they took off Arthur yelled in fright, but Merlin who was holding him from behind laid him against his chest and held him tightly and smiled that goofy smile that Arthur loved so much. "Don't worry I'm never letting you go." Merlin reassured, and Arthur felt at ease immediately. Though it was frightening Arthur knew that Merlin, who was now also a sorcerer, would never let him go. He looked at the view, never had he seen such beauty. He closed his eyes and felt the wind push on his face and hair, he felt the warmth of Merlin's chest and let the rhythm of his beating heart consume him. Unsure if he would make it or not but not caring if he didn't as he treasured what he could with possibly his last moments with Merlin.