Chapter 16- Dinner

Arthur lay awake on his bed, he was no longer tired but it still pained him to get up without Merlin’s help. He looked at the shadows on the ground that came through the tent and could tell it was late afternoon. He was never able to sleep this long in Camelot so he treasured the rest while he had it, within five minutes of awakening Merlin came through the entrance with a fresh bowl of herbs. “Thought you’d never get up,” Said Merlin somewhat greeting him and Arthur returned it with a smile and nod as his throat was very dry. Merlin saw this and poured him a cup of water, helping him to drink it, “think you’ll be okay for a group supper tonight, my friends would like to meet you. Acctually speaking of friends I have a new partner with me. I hope you don’t mind.” Merlin finished. Arthur was about to question him but something suddenly jumped up onto his legs, looking at him curiously. Arthur was frightened at first but he tried not to let it show, every mythical creature he had encountered was usually bad or got him into some kind of trouble although he couldn’t help but giggle when the creature started to playfully attach his feet like a cat would. “His name is Valith and he’s of the dragoe species, my friend Alister will be sure to tell you all about them.”

“I didn’t know you had friends Merlin.” Arthur teased which earned a huff out of Merlin, “relax Merlin I’ll be nice, their probably just as stupid as you.”

“I see you are recovering well Sire.” Merlin said in a formal tone, ignoring the last comment, as he pulled out bandage just as he did the day before, “let’s see how well.” Merlin guestured to Arthur, he moved so Merlin could redress the wound again, as he did so Valith jumped up on Merlin and curled around his waist like a belt. As Merlin tended to Arthur, Valith watched Arthur and Arthur found himself in a staring contest with an infant dragoe, neither broke the contact until Merlin spoke and they both looked up at him, “for a person whose wary of mystical creatures, you seem to be going well with him.” Merlin smiled, his hand laid and Arthur’s side having just finished. Arthur looked up and the two made eye contact for a second before Merlin stood and packed the items away. Arthur broke the silence, “Can you show me around the place before super, being in here all day is getting me cramped.” Merlin smiled at the thought of showing Arthur a part of his life but he also feared how far he should go, he didn’t want Arthur to be overwhelmed and fear him, “Sure.”

Merlin walked over to Arthur and helped him sit up, Valith was now sitting beside them while Merlin put on Arthur’s shoes and found a warm overcoat. Merlin walked around and showed him the area while helping Arthur along, occasionally a person would say hi as they both walked by. Valith happily pranced alongside Merlin.

Later on the druid leader called for super and the two made their way back and sat down by the fire on a large log. Merlin stood and got the food while Arthur waited, he came back shortly after, Arthur took the bread and stew and was just about to take a bite until Merlin nudged him, “not yet,” he whispered, “you have to wait for everyone else.” Arthur silently apologised and put the bread back in the bowl. Taking this time as an opportunity Arthur decided to enquire about his day, “since when did you become so interested in my life,” Merlin laughed. “Since the day I found out you had one outside of Camelot,” Arthur retorted, “Tell me about these friends you speak of.”

“Well-“ Merlin began but was quickly cut off by someone that caught him from behind, he jumped from the surprise. “Talking about us behind our backs?” the familiar voice laughed.

“I believe you are the one behind my back Jordan.” Merlin laughed and both Jordan and Alister stepped over the log and sat next to Merlin on the other side. “Arthur… these are my good friends Jordan and Alister.” Merlin introduced them both and they reached over Merlin and shook Arthur’s hand, “So you’re the royal prat we’ve heard so much about.” Alister said.

“Yes well I can’t  say I’ve heard much about you two though.” Arthur replied eyeing Merlin

“That’s because you only found out he was a sorcerer a few days ago.” Jordan said defending Merlin, “all you have to know is that Alister’s the brains when it comes to magic creatures and I’m just the all-round badass.”

“Says the one who has a curfew!” Alister mocked, he turned to Arthur, “What do u think of Merlin’s new sidekick. Personal gift from us.” Alister said proudly. Arthur looked at Valith, he noticed that both Alister and Jordan had one too.  “Well it was certainly a surprise, I’ve never seen such a creature like and since when does Merlin get gifts?” Arthur joked. Alister scratched behind his head, “yeah I know, it’s a week in advance but I just couldn’t wait.”

“Wait for what?” Arthur asked confused.

“His birthday of course!” Jordan laughed and then stood, Alister did the same, “come on I’m hungry,  lets go get food.” And both of them walked off. Arthur looked at Merlin who seemed to be intensely observing his stew and avoiding all eye-contact, Arthur never knew when his birthday was. It wasn’t because he didn’t care it was just because he had forgotten to ask, “You could’ve told me that your birthday was in a week!” Arthur hissed.

“Why should I be apologising, you never thought to ask!” Merlin hissed back and stuffed a spoon of stew into his mouth.

A/N: heya guys, sorta a short one but thats cus I'm hoping to get next chapter up in a few days  max. Feedback  is much appreciated, Love you all and thanks for reading!