Knights in Waiting

The afternoon light had filled the tent which pried the two sleeping men awake. Merlin looked up to Arthur watching him with a smile. Neither of the pair made intentions to move from where they lay.

"I suppose we should get up." Merlin sighed, looking up to the roof of the tent after a few minutes had passed.

"I don't want to leave Merlin." Arthur said, also looking up at the tent.

Merlin scoffed, "Yes but it's morning and I especially have things to do. Especially now that you're getting better, we need to make plans to leave." Merlin said, lowering his voice as he finished.

"No Merlin as in I think I don't want to go back. To the Castle. To the knights. To Camelot. To...Gwen.. I just want to live a normal life now. With you." Arthur said as he pulled Merlin in closer to his chest. Merlin looked to him in surprise. He had opened his mouth but he could not speak, Arthur had devoted his life to his kingdom, to Gwenivere. Albion was his destiny, he had become so close to fulfilling it. He was confused and worried. But he was happy, very happy. Still, he didn't Arthur to have second thoughts he wanted to be sure.

"But could you really live a normal life, what with all you've been through?" Merlin questioned, "And what about Albion? I know you don't love Gwen as you once did but is it right?"

Arthur looked away, his jaw clenched from the unknown idea of what lay ahead. "I like the idea of a normal life, you can show me that. Anyway with you I highly doubt we could lead a wholesome 'normal' life." Arthur smirked to himself a moment before retaining his stern look. "Merlin, I'm supposed to be dead right now."

"Don't say that." Merlin said quickly in response.

Arthur paid no attention and shook his head dismissively, "I'm alive and it's because of you and the great sacrifice of your friend that I am. Albion will be united, but not by me. It was my destiny to pave the way to do so, but not to finish it. I have reason to believe that Gwen may do that on her own." Arthur finished, looking back down to meet Merlin's bewildered expression. "Of course," Arthur added, "You'd be doing most of the work to start off."

Merlin scoffed, "There's the catch."

Merlin pressed against Arthur to prop himself up and out of the small bed. Arthur rolled back on his side as Merlin dressed and left to go find something for their breakfast.

Within a few minutes Arthur lazily got himself up and threw on the nearest thing he could find, which just happened to be a loose dark red top and some brown pants. He looked over at Merlin's neckerchief on the table, swiping it up and feeling the red cotton through his fingers and finally bringing it up to his face only to find the defining, homely scent of Merlin.

Arthur turned and smiled as Merlin broke through the entrance but his smile was immediately wiped from his face as he looked at Merlin's distressed one. "Arthur..." Merlin gulped, looking to him and beckoning him outside. "You need to come out. Now." Merlin retreated outside only to be greeted by Arthur again seconds later.

Arthur looked inquiringly to Merlin first but the sound of hooves changed his direction of vision to the two knight's riding down a hill towards the camp.

Both the men walked to the outskirts of the camp to greet the men. Arthur, though excited to see the two again, was aware of the aura that was set from the man who stood closely behind them. He could easily sense the loss that Merlin felt, almost knowing that everything Arthur had said at the camp would soon mean nothing.

~

"Sire!" Leon and Arthur cried as they jumped from their horses, their faces beaming for not only did they find their king, he was also alive and well and Merlin was with him.