Chapter two/ Kilgharrah's wish

A/N: Hi so  just to confirm, no I don't have an update schedule and I just write when i please. In saying that i won't take forever. Anyway, enjoy chapter two....

They flew for a short time but for Merlin it felt like hours had gone by, he was so afraid, he didn’t want to lose his best friend. They soon landed and Merlin jumped off and helped ease Arthur down onto solid ground. They walked to the boat, Merlin sat down and laid Arthur in his lap who was now yet again growing very tired. Merlin cast his spell and the boat moved, Kilgharrah followed close behind. They had reached the tower of ‘The Shes’ and Merlin carried a barely conscious Arthur in his hands. “You can’t save him Merlin, you know The Shes demand a sacrifice in return.” Kilgharrah spoke, warning Merlin as he trudged along.

“If it’s a sacrifice they want, then it’s a sacrifice they will get.” Merlin snapped “his life is worth a hundred of mine.”

“No Merlin! This is not your destiny!” Kilgharrah retorted his voice growing in volume.

“Screw destiny!” Merlin yelled back. The Shes were standing at the door and Merlin placed Arthur in front of them. “Give us a moment” Merlin looked towards them then back to Kilgharrah.

 “Merlin if you sacrificed yourself then Arthur would be alive again but he would still be very weak, he couldn’t get back to Camelot by himself, he would die anyway.” Kilgharrah said his voice a little softer, in pity for the young warlock.

“Then I trust you would find a way to get him back or get the knight’s attention somehow, they’ll bring him back.” Merlin wined

“Even if he did get back there would be many new magical creatures about, without your protection and guidance he will be nothing. I have seen how close you two have become, he will be devastated if you sacrifice yourself.”

“I don’t care!” Merlin shouted back “you said his destiny is to die then one day come back, but destiny never said when he had to die. Can’t he live a full happy life first before he goes? Then he can die and return someday, it’s all the same just a little time difference.” Merlin stated, a note of finality in his voice as he turned to The She’s. “He is time is running out, save him please.” Merlin begged as he knelt down beside Arthur’s shallow breathing body.

The Shes laughed “we do not give life to mere men for the sake of it, there will be a price.” They said in unison. 

“I know, in turn for his life I sacrifice mine.” Merlin muttered

“NO!” Kilgharrah stepped forward “I shall give mine!”

“Kilgharrah NO!” Merlin shouted

“There are still many choices ahead of you Merlin, your destiny is not yet for filled, you will live for a long time yet. My life is almost over I barely have a few more years. Whether Arthur becomes King again or not I will still save him. It has been a pleasure to know you Merlin and an honour to be a part of your destiny. I shall willingly sacrifice myself for you and your friend.  I only ask of you one thing…”

Merlin spoke, tears down his face “anything, anything at all.”

Kilgharrah smiled “The young dragon Aithusa is young and in need of guidance, I ask that you teach her the right ways of magic. Once I have sacrificed myself my powers and strength will be passed down to both you and Aithusa, you will have an even stronger connection and you will have even more power and truly become the greatest sorcerer. Take care of her as you did me, you will gain her trust as I have with you.”

“I will raise her in you name” Merlin sniffed. “Oh Kilgharrah” Merlin wailed and ran over to the great dragon and hugged his chest. Kilgharrah laughed and tucked his head behind Merlin. “Thankyou” Merlin whispered as he released him.

“Goodbye Merlin, I will one day see you again.” Kilgharrah said as he walked forward.

“You are willing to give your life for this man?” asked The Shes nonchalantly.

“I do” Kilgharrah replied. With that The Shes raised their staves and began to chant such ancient words of magic. Kilgharrah began to shine and slowly fade as he gave Merlin one last long smile. Arthur too burned bright, the brightest light came from his wound. Merlin too began to feel stronger. After the light had faded Merlin ran over to him, tears in his eyes. He felt Arthur’s pulse strong and steady, his chest rose and fell with such determination. His eyes fluttered open “mmm-merlinnn” he gasped. He tried to stand but failed to do so, lying back on the ground.

“He is weak but he will survive.” The Shes said and then turned back into the cave. Merlin felt in no mood to thank them, he just gathered Arthur in his arms and they embraced each other for what felt like years.