Merlin: The great storyteller

Arthur sat silently when Merlin’s friends returned, he watched as they conversed and laughed along with each other, he had never seen Merlin so happy and free, he felt as if he’d never known Merlin at all. He looked around the camp fire, everyone seemed so happy, so peaceful, when people saw him staring they would smile and wave rather than glare. These were the people my Father were scared of, the people he wanted to kill. He looked back to Merlin, his ebony hair that hung just in front of glowing blue eyes that didn’t even come close in comparison to even the finest gems in Camelot. His smile grew wider every minute that passed and yet he still remain the nicest, kindest person Arthur had ever encountered.

“Merlin! Merlin!” shrieked a group of very small druid children, girls and boys alike. They all ran up to Merlin, standing just in front him. Merlin laughed and turned to face the group, without warning one of the young girls jumped up into his arms, luckily Merlin was used to this, he caught her and lifted her high and twirled around in a circle and pulled her close to his chest for a tight hug. Arthur watched as the girl, giggled in the air and hugged him so tightly with so much trust. Merlin knelt and put the girl back down but as he did so he was bombarded with more hugs from all the children.  Merlin sat back down on the ground so all the children could sit with him and eat their soup. Some of the children showed him precious stones they collected from around the camp, some showed him bugs that they had found or some just went on and on about different stories and what they had been doing throughout the week. All the while Merlin remained completely focused on the children, giving them his full attention and always making sure none were left out of the conversations.

“Wow cool pet!” one of the boys said and pointed to his dragoe. “Yes he is, would you guys like to pat him?” Merlin asked.  They all eagerly nodded and spread out into a small circle in which Merlin placed Valith. Valith greatly enjoyed the attention, he jumped from one lap to another as the children petted him. One of the druid elders came over to the group, “Children get ready for bed,” she called, the demand was followed by a union of disappointed groans. They all stood, including Merlin, Valith stood at Merlins side. Before they were about to all leave a very small little girl came up to Merlin.  She held a doll made of rags in one hand and with her other hand she reached up and tugged on Merlin’s sleeve. 

“Would you tell us a bed time story, about one of your adventures?” the girl timidly asked seemingly loud enough for the others to hear, they all turned around and agreed,“oh yes please” said many of kids.

Merlin looked up at the elder who gave him a nod, he sat down on the log, “oh all right then.” The kids’ faces lit up and they all sat down again around Merlin, Valith sat on Merlin’s leg and Merlin let the girl who asked him for the story sit on his other leg. One of the boys looked up at Arthur and smiled then sat down right by his feet.  Merlin told them a short version of ‘The Sword in the Stone’ that just happened to be one of the adventures he and Arthur had been apart of. The kids looked up at him in awe, mesmerised the whole time, Merlin used over dramatic story telling and facial expression that occasionally sent the kids into fits of laughter.

Arthur couldn’t believe his eyes, there Merlin, his servant sat telling stories to kids who thought he was the most amazing person ever and all this time Arthur had treated him like crap and when he could’ve just come here and be loved like a god, and yet Merlin had chosen to sit by his side for all these years. “Pretty cool isn’t it?” someone said beside Arthur they made him jump. He turned to see Jordan staring at him with a smirk on his face, “yeah I guess it is.” Arthur smiled at him.

“You’re not used to this I know that and this has probably hit you really hard, but don’t blame Merlin for all of the lies, I don’t even think you know how many times he’s saved your arse and almost killed himself doing it. He won’t even tell us some of them. He kept those secrets not just because he didn’t want to get killed but also to keep you safe until you grew into the king you needed to be.” Jordan said in a caring but low tone so Merlin couldn’t hear him while he talked to the children. Arthur didn’t know how to respond so he just nodded. Alister laughed from behind the two, “My, my getting cosy aren’t we?” Jordan laughed and even Arthur did ever so slightly. Alister placed a hand on Arthur’s shoulder and Arthur looked up at him, “Don’t suppose you could stay till Merlin’s birthday at least?” He asked, it was a genuine question and the longer Arthur thought about it, the better the idea became. Now that he knew a bit about Merlin he was determined to find out more, “Sounds like a plan.” Arthur said.--

Merlin had finished his story, they all clapped and quickly rushed off to bed as their parents called for them, most waved goodnight as they ran off. The young girl that was sitting on him before was fast asleep in his arms and Valith had somehow managed to curl up around his neck in his sleep.  Alister and Jordan left after silently saying good night to Merlin. Merlin looked to Arthur, “You okay? Sorry I took so long.” Merlin whispered and Arthur smiled at him, “it’s fine, I quite enjoyed it actually. Never knew you had such good story telling skills.” Arthur replied.

Merlin moved to sit up on the log next to Arthur and Arthur reached out to stroke the little girl’s hair as she happily slept in his arms, they stayed that way for a while until later one of the druid women came up to Merlin, “How is she?” the woman asked as Merlin stood and placed the girl in her mother’s arms.

“Out like a light.” Merlin replied and the woman thanked Merlin and said how happy she was to see him again then she walked off smiling to her tent. Merlin sat back down next to Arthur, “I don’t suppose we could stay for a bit longer?” Merlin asked shyly, Arthur sighed as if he was unhappy and Merlin took it as a no and he lowered his head. Arthur laughed at him, “oh don’t look so sad  Merlin, I’m kidding.  We can stay a bit longer,  plus I’m still not fully recovered and I can’t even properly stand up for too long without help, so we sort of have to stay.” Arthur said.

“Thankyou Arthur” Merlin said and hugged Arthur. Arthur stilled, he wasn’t expecting a hug and he felt a shiver go through him when Merlin hugged him. Merlin pulled back, “Sorry.” He mumbled which was followed by a yawn. Arthur relaxed and sighed and looked at Merlin, they met each other’s eye, “Bed?” Merlin asked. “Bed.” Arthur replied.