33

Thinking that he had stayed in the county for two days, it would be impossible for him to go back there again as soon as he came home. Needless to say, he left in such a hurry last time. If he suddenly left, his Laozi probably wouldn't believe Zhang Su's lie. If Su Qingbai had just returned and left again, he could not guarantee that his Laozi would let him go as simply as before.

It had been five days since Su Qingbai made an arrangement with Jiang Mao. Jiang Mao had no objection. He was in the county town recovering from injuries and was idle all day and not anxious.

Jiang Mao's mouth said not anxious but his heart was a little perturbed. He wanted to ask Su Qingbai about that person's characteristics, but Su Qingbai didn't say any and just said wait for a few days.

At that moment, Jiang Mao thought about a large number of concubines in ancient times, whether Su Qingbai would have them, but then he recalled Su Qingbai's inexperienced performance in bed, and he denied this conjecture because Su Qingbai was not that kind of person.

He also couldn't ask any more questions. After all, Su Qingbai said that he would tell him later and it was not like he was hiding it from him.

In the meantime, Su Qingbai was dressing up Su Caicai. He cleaned Caicai's whole body. He had paid a villager's wife to make him a beautiful new dress made of red cloth. The hair on Caicai's head was combed smoothly.

For the first time meeting, Caicai had to try to make a good impression on his Dad.

Everything was fine these days. On the third day, his Laozi suddenly asked him to go out and talk.

"Now that you're older, you have your own ideas about what you want to do. I can't manage some of your affairs..."

Su Qingbai stiffened. His Laozi was going to turn over his old debts a few days ago?

So he began to explain, "Dad, I..."

Before he said anything, Su Lingchuan interrupted him by waving his hand. "No explanation." Then he went on to say, "You have grown, there is not much room I can manage, you can only rely on yourself when you are outside. Be more careful when you are outside, don't let anyone else..."

Su Qingbai nodded vigorously.

Finally, Su Lingchuan talked about proper business. "A few days ago, your second elder uncle's only son worked outside and broke his leg carelessly. Your second elder uncle fell ill because of worry, and so the corn in the field was neglected."

Su Qingbai listened with a blank on his face. He had many uncles. The most familiar one was the great uncle. The second uncle and the third uncle..... He was not at home very often, he only knew how many people there were, but he couldn't figure out which was the second and the third.....

Su Lingchuan continued, "Your second elder uncle's family has helped us a lot. The day after tomorrow, I'll take you with your brothers and some of the villagers who have good relations with your second elder uncle to help harvest the corn. There are only two people in your second uncle's home and their household also has less land. We'll try to harvest it in two days, and by then our corn will be almost ready to harvest." Su Lingchuan planned to wait a few more days because his maize was planted a few days later than others, and the corn cobs were still a little green.

Su Qingbai felt very helpless. After he was done being busy with his second uncle's family, he still needed to be busy with his family. He didn't know how long it would take to be free.

It didn't matter. The key was that the day after tomorrow he would bring Su Caicai to Jiang Mao.

After some thinking, Su Qingbai decided to take Su Caicai to Jiang Mao one day earlier.