𝐢𝐢. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑎𝑖𝑙𝑦 𝐵𝑢𝑔𝑙𝑒

Fallon pushed open the door as she flashed the security gaurd her charming smile. Things had seemed to brighten up after five years of sorrow and misery. Now, many still struggled with their loss but had come to accept what had happened and their role in the bigger picture. In other terms they had none. What match were their ordinary mundane lives compared to super soldiers, aliens and gods. They were just there to clean up the mess of those with faces plastered on television and cereal boxes.

Fallon entered her grouchy boss's office with a fake smile painted on her face. She dropped the stack of news reports on his table, startling him as the impact sent a loud bang through the room.

His eyes met hers as the cigarette dangled between his chapped lips.        " Here they are, first thing Wednesday, just like you said." She said as he flickered through the paper. His beady eyes scanning over the words, occasionally lifting to meet her tired eyes. After the blip Fallon found a job as a reporter at The Daily Bugle, not that there were any stories other than the tiny felony being committed here and there. Fallon felt as if Mr Jameson hated her and to be fair he probably did. The man had dark hair that began balding due to his old age and deteriorating health but despite the warnings, that didn't stop him flipping them off with alcohol pumping his veins and smoke filling his lungs. He was a bitter old man and many could see why, he had lost his wife and children in the blip leaving him alone and lost.  He was broken like the rest of them.

His eyes found hers as he placed the papers down, a nod of acknowledgement being sent her way. " Very well, you're dismissed Belcourt. "

Fallon suppressed her eye roll as she thanked the man before leaving his office, she made a beeline straight for the coffee dispenser situated near the entrance as she craved some sort of normality.

"  Well don't you look like a wreck?"

Fallon scoffed at her friend's blunt tone. She poured the freshly brewed coffee into her mug before adding sugar and turning to face her friend. Naveen Langdon was a charming woman. Her curly ink hair framed her face as her warm brown almond eyes shined with amusement as she stared down her friend. Her chocolate skin matched her formal suit perfectly as she sent Fallon a bright smile showing off the dimples on her cheek.

" Shut up Nav" Fallon groaned as she brought the coffee to her lips. A sigh of content escaped her as she stood idly by her friend. Her heart lurched at the sight of her. " How are you holding up?"

" It doesn't get easier " her friend spoke in a tender whisper. On the night they were informed their heroes were conquered did their days turn into a nightmare. Fallon lost her mother, her pillar and strength. While millions lost their lives or a loved one Fallon lost the woman who meant everything to her. Margaret Belcourt had disappeared like the rest. Fallon and her sister were now orphans, fortunately enough Fallon became Aura's guardian but even then she couldn't explain to the little nine year old why their mother wasn't going to be coming home that day, or ever.

Naveen lost her fiance the night of the tragedy. She was married to a handsome man before he too was taken away so soon. She had found out when she had found his name plastered on one of the thousands of pillars containing the names of the deceased. It had been heartbreaking, she didn't get to say goodbye.

Fallon slipped her hand into Naveen's as she squeezed it gently.  The two women stood side by side as they watched everybody work. Smiles were now back on faces as they chatted animatedly to one another.

Five years ago this seemed impossible.

" Do you think they'll come back?" Her tone was soft, careful as she didn't want to say something that could shatter the already broken girl.

" I don't know Fal" Naveen frowned, her eyes flitting to her best friend " I really don't know"

She wanted her mother back, she wanted families to have their beloved  but what would happen to the survivors, how would the world cope with the sudden appearance of billions of people. They had rebuilt their lives and their foundations in the span that they've been gone, if they would return, what would happen to them?

Fallon was going to figure that answer out sooner than she anticipated.