Chapter 4

Bucky POV

It was 0655 when the phone rang in my room. I frowned because Rogers doesn't get back from his run until 0700 unless he's out on a mission. I put my pen down, putting a stop the random notes I was writing on pieces of paper and leant over to press the answer button. I had one of the new phones, being able to operate it after HYDRA instructed me on how to use it.

"Rogers, what do you want?" I asked, a little spite in my voice. I didn't like him checking on me every morning, but he thought it was necessary. I also didn't like it when my schedule was changed, so him ringing fifteen minutes earlier than usual meant I wasn't prepared for the phone call. Not okay, punk.

"James?" I blinked suddenly, my head jolting back a fraction, as I realised that this definitely wasn't Steve unless he had inhaled some helium and changed his accent.

"Wanda?" I asked, even though I knew it was her. She had a slight nervousness in her voice that she seemed to show not only around me. I heard how she spoke before I ran into her in the kitchen the other day. I half-wondered what she was doing up this early. I pictured her to be the type to sleep in as much as possible, however, you are never to judge a book by its cover. Same goes for spying - don't underestimate the enemy. I shook my head and told myself 'Wanda isn't the enemy!'

"Yeah, it's definitely not Steve..." she said, sounding a little awkward with herself. A small, shy giggle echoed through the phone that made my body tense slightly. I screwed up my nose at the foreign feeling and persisted to ask what she was calling about. We weren't friends, so this wouldn't be a social call. Not that I get any social calls or have any friends. Apart from Steve perhaps, but I don't know him like it did. It's...odd.

"What do you want?" I asked, getting straight to the point. I didn't have time for her shenanigans. Steve would be calling in five minutes and I didn't need her on the phone.

"Well, I checked with Steve last night and I was wondering whether it would be okay with you if we could make a few changes to your schedule?" That didn't sound great. Why wasn't Steve talking to me about this? If someone wants something or needs something signed by me, then it goes through Steve. She said that she asked Steve, but did she? I hardly knew the gal and wasn't sure whether I could actually trust her or not. She was still unfamiliar in my mind.

"What kind of changes?" I gripped the table slightly, feeling my body get a little tense and irritated. I took a breath. I didn't want to get angry, especially at the start of the day.

"I don't know whether you would be okay with this or not, but maybe have us meet every evening to help you with your memories? Obviously, if you don't want to, it's fine. It was just a suggestion, but I thought it might help you come to grips with-"

"Yes." Her ramblings would've almost made me smile if they weren't so irritating. I cut her short to save the verbal debate she would have with herself for the next ten minutes. Women were always like that. Not Peggy actually, she wasn't like that. Straight to the point. A bit of mess, but no fuss.

"Uhh...okay. Well, that's great." she said, sounding surprised that I agreed with her. I think she expected more of a battle.

"I would have to do something in return." I said, almost immediately. I didn't want her thinking that I was just going to accept her help and not give anything back to her. She started shaking her head.

"No, no, there's no need for tha-"

"No. Let me do something for you or I'm not getting help. And I know Steve will want me to get help."

"You're getting help just to please him?" she asked, curiously, and I knew that I had disappointed her. I didn't see the point in lying because I wasn't sure how easy it was for her to look into my mind. I didn't fully trust her, but then again, I didn't fully trust anyone.