Chapter 12

Wanda POV

"Jesus..." I said, scrolling through the hate comments of yet another YouTube clip. We had been looking through them for about two hours.

"Let's fill in on the details of the attack first and where it all began. The Attack on the IFID Headquarters, recently named the Lagos Catastrophe, was an open confrontation between the Avengers and former HYDRA agent Brock Rumlow in Lagos, Nigeria."

James and I were watching an overview of the events by Christine Everhart or 'the broadcasting bitch' as Tony would often refer to her as. I never delved into why.

"During the Battle at the Triskelion in DC two years ago, Rumlow barely escaped with his life, but gained severe facial scars and was subsequently hospitalized. Several months later, he assaulted his nurse and successfully escaped from the hospital where he was staying. There has been a manhunt ever since."

I could feel James tense next to me when they showed Rumlow's face. I was going to place my hand on his, but I could only reach his metal one and decided against it. I didn't want to trigger him. I smiled at him hoping he would find some comfort, but he didn't seem to notice me.

"Recovering items from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s research and development labs, Rumlow set up an arms sale in an attempt to draw HYDRA out of hiding. Upon learning of their arrival, Rumlow opened fire on them as a way of telling their superiors he was no longer a member of HYDRA. Taking up the alias "Crossbones", Rumlow went on the run and subsequently aligned himself with a faction of foreign mercenaries, unaware that Captain America and the Avengers were trying to track him down."

"Seeking to draw out the Avengers, Rumlow travelled to Nigeria and planned to steal a biological weapon from the Institute for Infectious Diseases in Lagos. Captain America, however, uncovered Rumlow's plan and the Avengers set towards Lagos. This was the beginning of a plan that resulted in the deaths of over 26 people and cost 14 million dollars in property damage."

Why did she even need to mention the property damage? The deaths were surely far more important. She was just doing her job, I guess.

"The team has been analysing the cameras in the area at the time. Upon arriving in Lagos, Scarlet Witch and Black Widow decided to go undercover while Falcon positioned himself on a rooftop overlooking the city."

"Why is she saying my name like that?" I said, pausing the report and staring at the presenter.

"Like what?" James asked and I frowned at the newsreader. Tony was right, she did seem like a bitch.

"Like she hates me. She hasn't met me. I thought newsreaders weren't meant to be biased," I said, sitting up against the headboard of the bed.

James raised his eyebrow up at me. We were sitting on my bed searching through articles and press talks on the 'incident'. "I think you're overthinking it. She isn't saying it in a weird way." he replied.

"Are you sure?" I asked, looking at Everhart's facial expression. She didn't seem very happy. Perhaps she just hated her job. He nodded and pressed play himself to allow the video to continue.

"A truck had driven through the entrance of the IFID and Rumlow's mercenaries started firing at several security guards stationed outside the building. As poisonous gas flooded the complex, Rumlow searched for a bioweapon in the facility. Converging on the building, the Avengers took down several of the mercenaries while Falcon used his new technological toy, Redwing, to find Rumlow before informing Captain America. After using her powers to lift Captain America onto the third floor, Scarlet Witch focused on venting the gas out into the open air while the others dealt with the remaining mercenaries."