Chapter 27

Wanda POV

I heard a knock at my door as I finished putting away some of my shoes that Pepper had slipped into my bag. I guessed it would either be one of the staff or James. "Come in," I called.

I turned around from my spot on the floor to see James walk in. "Hey," I said, pushing myself up to stand. My heart fluttered. He looked gorgeous. He was wearing a white tank top with black skinny jeans that clenched him in all the right place. His shapely biceps glistened against the sunlight coming through the window. God damm. Part of me just wanted to walk right over and grab him. He just smiled.

"How are you settling in?" he asked, shutting the door behind him. I suddenly felt a bit nervous as he walked towards me, muscly arms bare. I bit my lip and nodded.

"Good," I replied, my throat feeling tight and dry. I looked out to the window to distract myself. He was too much, way too much. "The...view is incredible." I picked up the water by my bedside and took a few rather large gulps. I ended up finishing it.

When I turned around, James was already standing at the window, focused on said view. I didn't feel nauseous about being up so high, but it was a big daunting to see the entire city below. Everyone seemed to be so busy all the time.

"It's breathtaking," he replied as I padded over with anxious caution. We both stared out at the scenery, watching T'Challa's warriors train, which was also breathtaking.

We stayed silent, content with each other's company. There was nowhere I would rather be and no one I would rather be with. I didn't realise I was leaning on him until I took a, rather shaky, breath and felt his arm against my back.

Fuck. This felt too perfect. I couldn't help myself. I tried to breathe normally I lifted my arm and put it across his stomach, lightly hugging him. My mouth felt so dry. His breath hitched as I rested my head against his upper chest, hearing his strong heart beat. It got a little quicker as I started stroking his hip with my thumb. His muscles felt hard against my fingertips. I loved feeling his body against mine.

I nearly said something about being lucky to be here in Wakanda, but kept my mouth shut. I just felt at peace. I felt like I could breathe properly around him.

He brought both hands up. One wrapped around my shoulder and the other around my waist. His bare arms felt so soft against me, the metal one a bit cold but I didn't mind. Hearing and feeling him sigh in relief made me smile. I made him feel this way, no one else. It was just him and me.

He was the only one I could be myself around without feeling judged or inferior. Everything felt easy with him. I clenched my stomach, an uneasy feeling coming over me.

James POV

Things hadn't felt this perfect since before the war and even then, they weren't exactly perfect. Wanda had brought out the old me and it felt so good. The name James was almost becoming uncomfortable to hear now.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the change in my mind. After all of the brain washing and torture, I could finally feel like myself. Fortunately and unfortunately, it was only around her. I wished I could be myself all the time, but, given my past, that was never going to happen. She made me feel free for the first time in my life. It was ironic, given that some of the government still wanted my head on a spike. I didn't care. I had protection now.

"I have a question," she asked, head still resting on my chest. I hummed to suggest she should ask what she wanted, squeezing her a little tighter. "If you had the chance to go back to the 1940's, would you? Obviously you can't, unless you're keeping time travel from me," she said with a laugh. She paused for a moment, glancing up at me with a sad look in her eyes. "But hypothetically..."