Chapter 23

Wanda POV

"Did you have any nightmares last night?" I asked, cracking an egg in each poaching pod. I remembered when Tony first introduced me to a poaching pan. I was so excited. For the following two weeks, I made poached eggs for breakfast every morning.

He frowned. "No, I didn't even realise."

When I woke up this morning, he looked so sweet. His eyes were peacefully shut and he was breathing evenly, relaxing me. I slid away from him and heard him groan and turn to hug the pillow. I had to put a hand over my mouth to stop myself from giggling at how cute it was.

He rubbed his face into the pillow and the need to laugh stopped when my eyes went to his bare stomach. His skin looked so soft. God, those abs. I had seen Steve's abs before but they were nothing compared to James'. I took in a shaky breath as I felt myself get wet.

"Fuck," I whispered, slowly moving away from the bed and into the bathroom to pee. I really needed a night by myself, or even an hour, to relieve myself of the sexual tension that was refusing to leave me alone.

"Wanda?" I turned my head to him, quickly realising that I had been daydreaming about this morning.

"Sorry," I apologised, checking on the eggs. Thankfully, they weren't done yet. "Did you say something?"

I put the bread in the toaster and went to the fridge to get the butter out. "No, you were just staring into space."

I nodded and tried to calm down the blush on my cheeks. "Have...have you heard from Wakanda?" I asked to change the subject and get him to talk. My mind was a bit frazzled.

"I occasionally text Shuri." I felt my face freeze for a moment.

"Who's Shuri?" I asked, trying to sound as calm as possible. I hated the jealousy I felt. I didn't even really understand why. Were they close? Did they share the same relationship that James and I did? Surely not...?

"T'Challa's sister," he answered as I turned off the hob. "Hopefully, I can head back there when the time is right."

The toast popped out and I almost jumped at it. I took the pieces and buttered them, glancing at him sideways. "Well, why don't we ask Steve?"

James cast an uncertain look my way. "I'm sure he won't object to you staying a few days out there," I reasoned, putting the eggs onto the toast. I watched as they wobbled slightly and smiled, bringing them over to the table.

"It might be nice to-"

James was interrupted by three firm knocks of the door. I frowned, not expecting anyone to come and see me, but went to answer the door nonetheless.

It was Hill. She was dressed in a black pantsuit and held a clipboard in her hand. Typical. We were just about to sit down for breakfast and suddenly it's all business again. I just wanted a days rest. I was tempted to sneak into James' suitcase and go to Wakanda with him.

"I'm looking for Barnes have you-" She stopped when her eyes darted behind me. "Oh. Didn't expect to find you here." I didn't like her tone, not at all. She sounded a little disgusted that he was in the kitchen.

I turned around to see Barnes frozen with egg and toast in his mouth. His cheeks were stuffed with the food. It was a sweet image, almost like he was a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He shrugged as he swallowed the food. "She does good poached eggs," he said as an excuse.

I felt slightly offended he didn't want to admit he was with me overnight. But then I remembered that if Hill knew about our...closeness, she would not be pleased. I don't know what would happen actually. Vision and Wanda seemed to be getting quite close. I knew relationships weren't allowed, but I wanted to tell someone what I was feeling and about the kiss. Maybe Clint would understand. I knew he wouldn't tell Hill.