Chapter 16

Wanda POV

"John Bender is the best character. You can't make me change my mind." I was watching Rhodey, Sam and Natasha debate their favourite character from the movie we were currently watching - 'The Breakfast Club'. Is this what kids were like back in those days? I hadn't been to school as I was educated by my parents, but if that was what it was like, I wouldn't have wanted to go. It seemed like a bitchy, two-faced nightmare.

"You're wrong. Caretaker Carl is the best one," Sam argued, folding his arms across his chest. He could be such a big baby sometimes. They continued to argue about it, not caring that much about the movie anymore. Clint came and sat next to me as the debate continued.

"Maybe we should try and make our escape now while they are distracted," he suggested with an exhausted breath. I quietly chuckled to myself as I watched the three Avengers bicker. He turned to me. "On a more serious note, how are you and Barnes doing?"

I angled my head to look at him, raising one of my eyebrows. "Are you talking about the sex life you suggested us having earlier or are you actually concerned for our relationship?"

He grimaced at me, shaking his head. "Yeah, sorry if I made you uncomfortable with that. I saw an opportunity of an innuendo and took it." He shrugged and leaned back against the sofa. I leaned back to with a smile on my face, letting him know that I wasn't offended by it.

"It's fine," I said, voicing the truth. I knew that Clint meant the joke in a harmless way, but it did make me feel quite awkward sitting next to the poor man. James couldn't remember the last time he even had sex and I felt sorry for him. It must be difficult for him to comprehend all the things he's done without remembering them. There were so many memories that we needed to uncover and I bet money that we would have more embarrassing moments together. "As for James and I, we are doing well. He seems to be opening up a bit more."

I saw Clint smirk and open his mouth to say something sexual again, but I held up a finger. "Don't," I warned him. We both looked at each other with a grin and laughed, which caught the attention of the others.

"What are you guys giggling about?" Sam asked with a suspicious frown on his face, thinking we were laughing at him or keeping a secret.

"The film," I said, pointing to the screen. Some of the students in the scene were getting high and playing air guitar. The film was rather amusing actually. I needed to watch it from the beginning at some point.

Everybody settled down from the argument and leant back on the sofas to watch it again. "Has he hurt you at all?" Clint whispered, not wanting the others to hear. There was a seriousness in his tone that made him seem much darker than usual. Clint was fun, loving and cared about everyone, but when someone pissed him off he would become a completely different person. His eyes would darken and an angry persona would take over. I didn't like seeing him angry. I placed my hand on top of his.

"You don't need to worry about me, Clint. You know that if he ever does attack, I can defend myself." He nodded and linked his fingers with mine, squeezing my hand. His grip was firm, but never too tight. "And no, he hasn't hurt me yet."

"'Yet' doesn't exactly reassure me," he replied, staring back at the screen. "Maybe I should speak to him."

"Umm..." I didn't know how good of an idea that was. It had taken this much one on one time with James to get him to trust me just a little, so I didn't know how he would feel about a lecture by Clint on how he shouldn't hurt me. "I'll talk to him and voice your...concerns, yes?"

He looked back at me and nodded. "Okay." Like hell I was going to voice Clint's concerns. James didn't need to know how Clint was worried about us spending time together. It might push James away from me and that was the last thing that I wanted when we were just building up our trust.