Chapter 28

Bucky POV

Guilt spread through me after I looked her up and down. It wasn't the right way to treat her. My ma would be ashamed.

"You look beautiful," I said with a smile, my heart fluttering. The Wakandan style dress fit her perfectly and I respected her choice to not wear heels - they seemed painful. I didn't look at the breasts. I wanted to take her out dancing, be a gentleman and make her feel appreciated for the wonderful woman she was. I cleared my throat to stop myself from saying my thoughts aloud.

I noticed to way her lip scrunched up, trying to contain her grin. I liked watching her squirm. "Thanks," she replied quietly as we walked down the corridor. Two guards were waiting at the end to escort us to the party. I realised then that it would be the first dance I'd willingly attend since the forties.

"Are we going to be late?" she whispered to me, eyeing the guards nervously. I smiled and held her hand as we walked, a little quicker.

"It'll be fine. It's being held in our honour anyway. Pretty sure they can't start without us," I told her with a wink.

She rolled her eyes. "You sound like Stark."

My whole body shuddered. "Never say that again." She laughed, playfully slapping my shoulder with her free hand. I smirked as we approached a large set of double doors.

It felt a little daunting, knowing everyone was standing behind it. The noise swarmed my ears as the doors opened. I took a breath as Wanda's hand slipped away from mine. I felt a little colder than before as we entered the room.

Our names were announced as we began to walk down the huge staircase carved out of beautiful, smooth wood. Everybody clapped. I'd never received anything like it. I didn't deserve the applause, I hadn't done anything. Wanda did. She represented all that was kind and good in the world.

With that in mind, I felt like wave of confidence rise. I softly laced her hand with mine as we descended the stairs, smiling as the red spread across her chest and onto her cheeks. It gave me joy for some reason. She could berate me about it later. In that moment, I didn't care.

We both hugged T'Challa and Shuri who were waiting at the bottom of the stairs for us. T'Challa pulled me over to one side as Shuri and Wanda went to get a alcoholic drink. Well, just Wanda. Shuri definitely wasn't old enough to drink, not that I didn't catch her one time when I was walking back from training. What T'Challa didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

"The hut is ready for you to use tonight, if you wish. The extension you suggested the last time you were here was taken care of," he explained, nursing his drink in his hand.

I shook my head. "You are too kind. I could've completed it myself."

"Nonsense, my friend." He placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "The villagers were more than happy to help me with the additions, not that they took long finishing it," he told me, waving his hand.

"Still," I said, clasping his hand with both of mine. "Thank you." He smiled and bowed his head.

I really liked T'Challa. Even though we had a slightly rough start, to put it lightly, we'd warmed to each other. We both enjoyed tranquility and peace, even meditating together a few days while I stayed in Wakanda. He'd shown me nothing but kindness by giving me a place to sleep, a place to rest.

I glanced over at the two woman by the bar. Shuri seemed to have a glass filled with orange juice. Wanda had a tall glass of what appeared to be champagne, elegantly held in her smooth hands.

"Distracted by something?" T'Challa asked, following my line of sight.

I shook my head. "No...just uh...wondering if it would be possible for Shuri to examine my brain once more. See if there's anything else we can do." It had been on my mind, but not nearly as much as Wanda had been.