Chapter 60: Time of death... 18:24

Patrick ran into the hospital as quick as his feet would let him. This wasn't really happening was it?

"Mr. Dempsey?" An older looking male approached him. The man looked like he was racked with guilt, he looked tired.

"I- yes." Patrick stumbled trying to put words together.

"There was an accident. Your wife was driving and there was a bus that crashed into a pole, she swerved trying to avoid it but a piece of the pole came through her windshield." He said.

"I- she, alright?"

The male doctor didn't say a word. Instead he looked down at the ground, Patrick played a doctor for 11 years. He knew this situation all to well.

"She didn't make it... oh god ... she didn't make it." He sobbed.

"She is still in surgery.." the doctor spoke softly.

"Still in surgery?" He sniffled bringing his head back up.

"Yes sir. I will come back out when she is out." He stated as he stood up and started walking back to the O.R.

[If you live long enough, you will eventually have to suffer the loss of someone you love. Anyone who's been through this knows that death is, indeed, hardest on the living. While we find ways to survive the unbearable pain, there are pieces of that loved one that will never truly die, because we carry them with us for the rest of our lives. Grief isn't something that people get over, so much as something that they eventually learn to live with.]

The glass door of the hospital opened. Opened another. But still Patrick didn't seem to "wake" he was to busy in his kind of 'what the hell he was going to do' . The only thing that got him out of his trance was a gentle tap on the shoulder.

"Mr. Dempsey, she is out."

"Your face doesn't show me happy. What happened?" Patrick asked not knowing if he wanted the real answer or not.

"She coded. Several time during surgery. She was down for 25 minutes in total.. we don't know if she will have any neurological deficits." He spoke truly.

A single tear rolled down Patrick's cheek, "it took me a long time to find her. And it took me an even longer time to realize that I wanted her, a life with her. And now she is just... she might not make it. She could but she'll need help the rest of her life, I'll be there, I always will. But, she won't be my wife. She would be... someone I used to know." The surgeon looked up at him and had to fight the urge to hug him, surgeons don't hug families, but at this time it felt right.

He brought Patrick into a tight hug and just stayed that way until his beeper ringed with a 911.

"It's my wife isn't it." Patrick asked when they pulled apart.

"Yes sir. I have to go." He walked off fastly.

He couldn't believe this was happening. It's all happening so fast. This wasn't the happy ever they planned. This wasn't the way it was supposed to end, it was supposed to end when they were 110 in each other's arms, not her lying in a hospital bed dying. It didn't feel right at all.

After about 20 minutes the same doctor came back to speak with Patrick.

"Sir."

"Doctor."

"Your wife coded again. We did everything we could.. but despite our best efforts in trying to revive her, she may have major deficits."

"But she- isn't dead?"

"No sir.. but she is very well possibly brain dead sir."

"Can I see her before you declare her?"

"Yes sir."

The doctor and Patrick made their way up to the ICU. Patrick was mentally preparing himself to say goodbye to love of his life, his soulmate, his wife. He just couldn't believe it. One minute they were cuddling the next minute she was gone and he got a phone call.

[You can seek the advice of others, surround yourself with trusted advisers, but in the end, the decision is always yours and yours alone. And when it's time to act and you're all alone with your back against the wall, the only voice that matters is the one in your head. The one telling you what you probably already knew. The one that's almost always right.]

"Sir. You might want to prepare yourse-,"

"No. Don't tell me.. just, I know." He stopped the doctor from explaining.

"I'll be back with the papers. I'll leave you to say goodbye."

Patrick nodded his head and watched as the older doctor disappeared around the corner. This is it. This is the moment his world changes forever, he won't get over this, he won't move on, he won't be the same. Ever. And that's the hard part, this changed him.

He wanted to open the door and step inside but he couldn't bring himself to do so. How could he just march in there and say his final goodbye, give her one final goodbye kiss, he couldn't do it.

"Pat, I came as soon as I heard. They wouldn't let me in I had to fight my way in. Is she ok?" He heard a soft voice speak from behind, it couldn't be.. could it? He turned around and came face to face with the person he thought he would never see again.

"Ellen?" He asked in shook.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner, they wouldn't let me in. Something about me not being your wife. Is Jillian ok?" She moved her head whilst talking.

He couldn't even process anything. Before he knew it their bodies crashed together and he picked her up off her feet. "Pat?" She asked but was soon silenced by his lips attacking hers. They were so wrapped up in the moment they didn't hear the flatline in the room go off. By the time they pulled apart they heard the end of the doctor's conversation.

"Time of death... 18:24."

A/N: so that happened. Who was in the room? Who knows, oh well, I do. I know. And it will be revealed next chapter. Wooza. But yeah Ellen is fine, obvious that girl is pretty much immortal 🙄✋. Ok bye now! Hope you enjoyed, also your therapy is on me.