Chapter Seventeen - 2

A few days after the announcement, Jaehyung received another message from Younghyun. He stared at the screen for a long time, heart pounding in his chest.

"Please, meet me tonight at our usual place. 9 PM."

Without hesitation, he accepted. The announcement of Younghyun's debut had been a shock, but it did nothing to lessen his feelings. He had his doubts, of course, he did but wanted to believe. The time they spent away after the show at the KNUA had been hard enough to deal with. He did not want to repeat his mistake.

Pressured by his never-resting anxiety, Jaehyung arrived one and half hours early. He could not wait to see Younghyun after what felt like months.

He did not have to wait for long. It was not a dream, right? An illusion created by his own stupid desire to have Younghyun in front of him, working with him again.

"You look tired," Jaehyung whispered, almost afraid to break the silence.

"Days are long."

"Practice?"

"I need to. I have a long way to go."

Younghyun had changed. From a man who did not care much about celebrity, Younghyun became the incarnation of an idol. He was now a dedicated artist, practising with determination and singing with passion. He clearly changed, for the best.

"I'm glad you enjoy it."

"Not as much as when I'm with you."

"Still."

"The merit is all yours. Before we started working together I forgot I used to enjoy music for what it was. Seeing you so deeply involved in your music helped me make up with myself too. Really, it's all from you."

Jaehyung did not reply.

Right now, Younghyun looked like the main character from a teen manga: tall, makeup and fashionable clothes on. His life was every day more like a fairytale. One he was excluded now, but Jaehyung was proud. Proud to think he contributed to this change, proud to have helped him to improve before.

He remembered their first days of training and the determination Younghyun showed to help Jaehyung make his dream come true. Through those efforts, Younghyun improved as well and found his own pleasure with music.

Now, it was Jaehyung's turn to help.

Before he could reply, he caught Younghyun's eyes on him. Why was he standing there with such an expression on his face, clenching his phone in his right hand?

"Sing for me," he said abruptly.

With a small smile at the corner of his lips, Jaehyung indulged. Younghyun tended to ask him to sing suddenly as if the sound of Jaehyung's voice alone was enough to erase his worries.

Softly, Jaehyung started to sing the song Younghyun sang for him during the show. Like a message, the last and strongest link between them, he poured his feelings out, for his love.

The door was still open and many people were still outside, passing by, probably hearing him. He knew, but Younghyun's pleading eyes focused on him were enough to make him forget their existence.

"If it could be that peaceful on stage, I guess I would be able to sing."

"I know... I hope it will happen one day. Soon."

Bitterly, Jaehyung had to agree. One day might still be far away, but he wanted to believe. He wished they could wait for this day together, but he could not be that selfish... Younghyun had potential, he had charisma... as a singer, he had a future, not like him.

"Sing for me," Younghyun said the moment he reached the end of the last verse.

Younghyun closed the door and switched off the light. A single ray of moonlight was crossing the room and they barely could see each other. The moment reminded him of the last time Younghyun the same, the first time they made love.

It looked so far away now.

Younghyun reached for his lips and kissed him. They did not have time alone since their reconciliation, before all this really started, too long time ago.

They kissed in a way they never thought they would. With such delicacy yet with subtle passion underlying. It felt like a goodbye kiss, and Jaehyung suddenly knew the whole situation. They finally broke away and stayed looking at each other. Jaehyung got the confirmation of the fear growing in his chest. Younghyun's eyes were full of pity and sadness, maybe also guilt. Jaehyung was sure now, Younghyun was leaving... leaving him.

"Jae..." Younghyun began.

"I understand, Brian, it's okay."

"No, I..."

"You can't give up everything for me."

"You trust me, right?" Younghyun asked for confirmation.

The glimpse of hesitation before Jaehyung's shy nod hurt his heart and he cupped Jaehyung's cheeks between his hands.

"I said I did, didn't I?"

His expression was unfathomable and Jaehyung did not know what to think about his attitude.

"I know it's complicated... I'm sorry... but you have to believe in me okay? Always," the younger man said firmly "Please. Don't give up, never give up."

With difficulties, Jaehyung agreed. In those dark orbs in front of him, he could still see the caring man he fell in love with, the one who was ready to give him the world. He could see his support and his hopes and it made him unable to refuse anything. He would go on, of course, he would, but he did not know where to, now that he would be alone.

"I love you," Jaehyung heard and his heart melted.

"I love you too."

Torn between sadness and pleasure, he forced a smile and joined his lips with Younghyun's once more, for a longer moment than the previous one. When they parted, he took a deep breath and had to bite his lips to not break down.

"Good luck," Jaehyung whispered as he walked out of the room.

As he walked out, his thoughts flowed. Things were moving fast, indeed. With his whole heart, Jaehyung prayed this was not a goodbye between them. Just a short interlude to help them handle their new lifestyle. Right, it was a period to adjust. Wishful thinking.

On his way out of the building, he met the manager, recently promoted as YoungK's personal manager. Jaehyung did not really want to talk with anyone, but the man seemed to think otherwise.

"Oh Jaehyung, glad you're here, I actually needed to talk to you."

Jaehyung bowed politely but did not bother to force his smile. Not caring about his behaviour, the manager started to talk about random events, praising themselves for Younghyun's recent success, the amount of sudden work because of this... a lot of things Jaehyung did not want to hear at the moment.

"It would be a waste not to use his talent, now we know he has some," the manager said, with no sympathy for Jaehyung's broken heart.

Jaehyung did not want to agree, he even despised the man for saying such kind of words, but in a way, they were right. Younghyun was talented and it would be a waste to let him be a puppet to stand for Jaehyung.

The manager tried to be evasive about the future, reassuring, but nothing in his behaviour could appease Jaehyung's bleeding heart. Was it not their fault after all? They were the ones who messed up everything, playing with people's careers and life as if it was nothing.

The manager did not care much about the younger man's attitude, too focused on his recent success because of Younghyun and caught Jaehyung's attention again.

The manager's announcement made him freeze on the spot. 'Some words hit like a bullet,' Jaehyung thought for the second time this week.

"Sorry, I went off-topic. I just wanted to reassure you. We settled things for you too," he explained, like a conclusion to their conversation. "You have a new partner".