Author's Note

Okay, so first of all, thanks for clicking that read button. Super grateful, and if you don't want to hear me ramble like a loser, just skip to chapter 1.

Of course a big thank you to all the readers who stuck with me from the first time I wrote this, along with all my other readers! 

I wrote most of this when I was 13, so please no hating on plot holes. If you hate on me I'm going to call you out on it so don't even try to play it off, okay?

ALSO I have a lot of people asking for writing tips and asking me to read their stories/ fanfictions. I don't like reading stories that aren't completed (just hard truth I'm sorry) because people go on hiatuses, their plots fall apart, or updates take forever. It's not because I don't like you, but I am going to give what few amateur tips I know in the rest of this note. Just for basic stories that would've helped me out when I was starting to write. 

-Use proper grammar: It is a MAJOR literary turnoff to start a story with run on sentences, improper grammar, incorrect capitalization, and misuse of punctuation. My grammar in my author's notes are very relaxed because I'm just being real with y'all, and a typo or two isn't going to bury you, but for goodness sakes, PLEASE captialize I's and don't use more than one exclamation point or excessive pauses. It's not cool man.

-Have good sentence structure: I know you know how to properly use conjunctions. You shouldn't have paragraphs filled to the brim with simple sentences, but instead, your sentences need to flow into each other while remaining relevant. Also, please know when to cut off your paragraphs. Paragraphs two feet long are intimidating to most readers, so try and take it slow for the first few chapters. The flow will seem a lot more natural if you add lots of characterization to dialogue, instead of just going back and forth with quotation marks, let them move around or change facial expressions.

-Make sure your synopsis is relevant: Blurbs are blurbs. Short, sweet, and interesting. The way I do mine and one of the easiest ways to do it is have a paragraph defining your character, then introduce the plot in the next paragraph. I end mine with a question pertaining to the conflict. Don't put your whole story or your character's entire life story in your blurb, or there's no point in reading your story since you just gave me your entire plot. Give yourself some more credit, now.

-Define your characters: I made this mistake the first time I wrote Summoned and I'm trying to fix it. If all of your characters have shallow personalities, we won't care much for them. Try to like give each of your characters a powerpoint slide or an index card just defining that character. Do they get along well with your protagonist? Why or why not? Was there an experience that caused a problem? What are their hobbies? Talents? Do they have a weird habit, like popping their fingers or twirling their hair? Get your characters out of the kiddie pool. Go deep.

PS your character is not perfect. Give them flaws.

ALSO please, please do not waste your paragraphs introducing characters as their appearance. Kind of let it flow in, and maybe add some of their personality. I'm going to use my character's little sister, Penelope, for example.

-Penelope Carams is 15 year old girl. She has blonde hair and violet eyes. She has a twin named Harrison that she argues with a lot.

-Penelope has terrorized her twin, Harrison, for the last 15 years. He was only born 10 minutes after her, but she'll never let him forget it. You can tell when she's mad at him, too, because her hair seems to stand on end when she purses her rosy lips as her eyes fill with violet hellfire. The only thing that's changed since their childhood bickering is that her once platinum blonde hair darkened to a brassy gold and she finally grew into her awkwardly large nose dotted with freckles that was too long for a six year old. 

-Plan out your stories: If you have a good idea for what direction for your story to go towards, then write it down. If you have another one, write it down too. Jot down all of your ideas and try to make a timeline of how you're going to incorporate it into your story, which can let you practice foreshadowing and try to make the huge plot twist have more impact. Once your story starts to get good, like the girl is going out with they guy and everything is happy, don't let it stay sappy forever. Honestly, it gets boring when there's too much peace. You have to throw these characters into a turmoil to keep people's attention, but make sure they catch a break every once in a while. 

-Have a good length: I know that sometimes it's hard to write, but your chapters need to be at least 1,000 words. I mean, unless it's poetry or something else with a valid excuse. I haven't followed this rule in the past sometimes, but that's why I'm editing. Keep your story at a good pace and do not rush the plot. Harry Potter did not start while he was in Hogwarts. The Hunger Games did not start with Katniss strapping herself to a tree in the games. The Selection did not start with America on her first date with Maxon. 

Yes, I know it's tedious, and I made that mistake too. If you don't know that Harry had family issues, was raised as a muggle, and had to meet Ron, you'd be really confused why an 11 year old boy can do magic in a castle. If you don't know that the Hunger Games was required, not a game, or you didn't know Katniss was broke, you'd be really confused as to why this girl signed up to camp in the woods with psychopaths. 

IF YOU DID NOT KNOW AMERICA WAS BROKE AND HAD A BOYFRIEND, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SHE AND 34 OTHER GIRLS HAVE TO DATE THE SAME GUY

Okay, I made my point. Just enjoy the story and stay cautious. ALSO these are my opinion and just things I've picked up and I think would help people my age and younger TREMENDOUSLY with writing if they really want to get better. And I will help you with your story if you really want it to get better, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. 

ok sorry for the rant

stay cool nerds