Chapter 34

I watched as the rest of the dancers filled in the empty spots and Aaron went back up to the majestic chairs beside America and Maxon. I dove back into the crowd to greet more people.

"You were an amazing dancer, Elly," said a familiar voice. Uncle Darry pulled me into a broad hug, and I couldn't speak I was so awestruck.

"Oh my god," I said while we embrace. "Uncle Darry, what are you doing here?" I laughed happily.

"I came in Franny's place. She was pretty fussy this afternoon," he replied. "Now I know I'm not as good as the prince," he sighed. "But I would be honored if you would dance with me.

"Of course," I smiled happily as I took his hand. He led me out to the dance floor, surrounded by many guests. He spun me around several times, and every time I had a broad smile on my face.

My skirts brushed against those around me, and I laughed at every joke Uncle Darry told. The night came down to a wind eventually and Uncle Darry excused himself to dance with Penelope.

"Hey, if I don't see you later tonight, I want to say goodbye," I said before he took off. He pulled me into a hug. "I love you, Uncle Darry."

"I love you too, Elly," he grunted before pulling back. "I'll see you later ok?"

"Ok," I promised.

I wove through the crowd, hoping to find an empty seat at a table. My heels clicked against the floor and people stared at me as I walked past. "Elisa!" a voice called loudly.

I turned to see Marlee's magnificent golden dress falling around her chair in bundles. Her crown sat on top of her head. "Hey, Marlee," I greeted. "It's great to see you."

"You too," she smiled. "How has your night been?

"It's been good," I said honestly. "I saw my family, and the dancing was amazing, I stood up to my mother, which was also a big deal for me. The only thing bothering me is that everyone keeps staring at me," I finished. Just as I got done speaking people glance our way and immediately starting whispering, covering their mouths with their hands.

"There are many possibilities," Marlee began. "You are the only person in this entire room wearing blue, and yes, I did check. You danced the Illèan Dance with Aaron instead of the other selected, which you did better than Mom and I. And last but not least, you're sitting with me. Plus now they all know you're Aaron's favorite."

"That's not true," I denied.

"Oh, yes it is," she scoffed. "He talks about you more than the others. Don't think I don't know about those riding lessons either, curtesy of him."

"He'd do it for any of us," I blew it off.

"Oh my god, Elisa!" She sighed exaggeratively. "When will you understand how much he likes you?"

"There's 12 other girls here I have to compete with, Marlee," I contradicted. "I can't make exceptions for myself just because of the way I assume he feels."

"Whatever," she exhaled. "I'm just ready for this to be over."

"The ball?"

"Yes, but no. The selection," she said.

"Elisa," a small voice chirped. I turned my head to see Penelope waiting behind me. "I came to say goodbye. We're leaving."

I stood up to embrace my sister's small frame. "I'm going to miss you," I said while my voice was muffled by hair.

"I'm going to miss you too," she sighed. "It's lonely at home."

"Then call, or write, or something," I suggested.

"It takes two to tango," she laughed. "Who's this?" She asked referring to Marlee.

Marlee turned around and flipped her dark hair over her shoulder. "Penelope, may I introduce to you, Princess Marlee Schreave, Royal of Illèa, second to the throne, and my best friend."

"Best friends, are we?" Marlee joked. she looked back to Penelope and stuck out her hand. "Hi, I'm Marlee."

"Oh my god!" Penelope screeched. "You're friends with the princess?" She took Marlee's hand and shook it vigorously. Marlee and I both began to laugh.

"I'm going to go say goodbye to my family, and the I'm heading in," I told Marlee. "I'll see you at breakfast?"

"Definitely," she smiled.

Penelope and I both walked to the group of purple where my family stood. "Thank you all for coming," I said before hugging everyone.

"Goodbye, Elisa," my father said while embracing me. "I love you."

"I love you too, Father."

He leaned in and whispered in my ear. "I'm so proud of the woman you've become."

"Thank you, Father," I said holding back tears.

Harry towered over me when he took me into an embrace. "I'll see you later, jolly green giant."

"What?" He laughed. "Elisa, you actually made a joke."

"Whatever. Don't hit another growth spurt, ok?"

"If I must," he sighed before walking out with Father and Penelope. Penelope gave a small wave and a smile that I returned.

Uncle Darry stood in front of me next. "Elly," he said before taking me into a hug. "Feel free to visit any time, or write, or call."

"I will, Uncle Darry. Thank you so much for everything," I said while tightening my arms. He offered a small smile before leaving out the doors.

Mother cleared her throat, and I turned to face her. "Mother," I said slowly. "I'm glad you came."

"I came for my daughter," she said while hugging me. "But it's clear to me that you aren't her anymore."

"Excuse me?" I choked.

"You are so much more beautiful. You're independent, headstrong, and amazing. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like that. I'm very proud of you, sweetheart."

"Mother," I said while my voice wavered.

"I'll see you again soon, ok?" She smiled sadly.

"Ok, Mother."

She kissed my cheek and followed the rest of my family out of the doors. I felt happy and free, with a lightness I'd never experienced before. I began to race through the palace, straight to the rooftops.

I had something important to say.

I've been waiting to write the next part forever. Now, onto the real reason why I'm putting an author's note.

Somebody has recently private messaged me ranting about how I 'stole' the name Aaron from @sivanisayani13 but I'm telling you it's not true. Until today, I had honestly never heard of her story. And I do plan to read it, by the way.

I'm really hurt that you guys would think I'd plagiarize anything. I'd been working on this for a long time, since around Christmas, and Aaron was the name I had chosen the FIRST time I wrote this story.

If it really bothers you, I will go back throughout my entire story and replace Aaron with a different name. I had no intentions of copying her, and I'm sure she had no intentions of doing the same to me.

Feedback is appreciated

-ET