Chapter 15

"You're majesty, we need to get you into the bunkers!" The guard yelled.

"I'm behind you," America yelled as a loud crash sounded from the hallway. She grabbed my wrist and pulled me off the piano stool, dragging me into the chaos.

Other selected were running madly about, trying to get to the bunker. I felt America let go of my wrist, and I looked all around the halls to find her. I felt an arm wrap around my waist, and a shriek sounded from my mouth. The other arm covered my mouth, and my arms were restrained.

I felt my body weight tilt and I was being dragged towards the palace exit. "You're coming with me," a masculine voice grunted.

"Like hell if she is!" A voice I couldn't see exclaimed. My captor collapsed on the ground, sending me tumbling down with him. He let go of me, clutching his face in pain. I pushed myself away from him and tried to get up, but I was pulled off of the ground and set on my feet.

Aaron stood beside me with bloodied knuckles, and when I took a step towards him, I almost fell back on the ground because of the pain in my ankle. I thought I twisted it during my fall, so I took off my heels so we could run to the bunker.

The soldier that had attempted to capture me was sprawled out on the ground, but he had picked up his gun. He fired it twice, and I saw Aaron fall on the ground in agony. He cried out, and I grabbed the gun from the soldier and hit him with the butted end.

I kicked the gun out of his reach and went to grab Aaron. I pulled him off of the ground and slung him across my shoulder, so he could lean on me and I could lean on him from my ankle. We pushed through the glass covered hall in the direction of the bunker, and I cut my feet on glass as I went.

The adrenaline pushed the pain out of thought, and I stepped down the dirt covered steps into the underground bunker. When we reached the bottom, America and Maxon ran to greet us.

"Oh my god! What happened?" America asked through tears falling from her eyes.

"I was shot in the shoulder and my knee," Aaron groaned as he laid on the ground. His eyes began to close, and I had to shake him to keep him awake.

"He needs immediate medical attention! Where's the nurse?" I asked America. She only responded by crying into Maxon's shoulder.

"She didn't make it," he said. "Don't you have medical training?"

"I-I've never performed surgeries like this on a real person," I stammered.

"Could you try?"

"I can," I said unconfidently. "Get him on the table, and if you can, I need tweezers, bandages, rags, and water." They nodded and got him prepped while I took glass out of my foot.

I couldn't find any bandages, so I tore of a part of my dress at the hem and wrapped them around my foot. I hobbled to the table where Aaron lay, and I tied my hair up. One of the selected had a nail kit, so I used the tweezers from it.

I tore off part of his pant leg and tore my dress up to bandage his knee temporarily, which I would tend to later. I started to take off Aaron's coat and unbuttoned his dress shirt, making my face blush slightly. I got a look at the wounds and wiped the blood off from around it.

I removed the bullet from his chest with the tweezers and closed the wound by sewing the skin together. I bound his chest with more fabric from my dress since there were no more bandages and moved on to his knee. I unwound the bandages that were now saturated in blood and put them aside.

The bullet was trapped between a blood vessel and muscle tissue, so I had to be particularly careful when addressing this. I pulled the bullet out and sewed up his wound, and I wrapped it in yet more of my dress.

He groaned in pain, and I tried to hush him back down. I felt his head and I was sure he had a fever, but I had already expected him to be feverish. I laid a cold, wet rag on his forehead and left him to rest.

America's cheeks were stained with mascara, and Maxon was trying to calm her down. "He should be fine until we get out. I did the surgeries, and now I'm going to let him sleep. I'm probably going to rest too, but make sure every 3 or 4 hours his bandages are changed. Just ask me to if I'm awake, but if we still can't find bandages, get a selected to tear off some of their dresses to bandage it up," I reported.

"Thank you, Elisa," America said before taking Maxon's wrist and dragging him over to Aaron. Maxon gave me an appreciative look and I returned it with a tired smile. I found an empty cot by the other selected and took a seat.

I used the tweezers to pick out small glass pieces out of my feet, and when I finished I wrapped them up again. I also made a make-shift sock to keep my sprained ankle firmly in place to heal.

I laid down on the cot, covering my exposed body with the thin blanket. The only sounds were a leak dripping and the muffled crying, but I didn't know the source of the weeping.

I said a quick prayer before laying my head down to rest, and I simply prayed to God that tomorrow would be a better day.