Chapter 35

I paced the hallways to the rooftop, but I got lost several times on the way. I eventually had to ask for directions, which was embarrassing. I eventually found the familiar latch behind the fireplace and pulled.

The door to the staircase appeared. I ascended up the steps, lightly bounding on my way up. I reached the peak and stopped. Aaron stood on the opposite side of the rooftop, hands on the railing.

I came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso. He inhaled deeply as he turned around and smiled. "Hey, Elly," he greeted.

"Hi," I responded as I leaned into his chest. He had taken off his coat and was left with his white dress shirt with rolled up sleeves and the top few buttons undone. His tie had been loosened, as well.

"How was your night?" He asked softly.

"It was wonderful, to be honest. I got to see my whole family except for my youngest sister, and I talked to several other people. I was with Marlee for a while, too. My mother saw how much I had changed," I said as the last part died down.

"How did she react?"

"At first, I didn't give her a chance to. I ranted, and after I did, I downed a glass of champagne and walked off."

"I didn't know you were one for flair," he laughed.

"Only when I'm angry," I contradicted. "She told me she was proud of me before she left."

"Elly, that's amazing!" He said happily. He picked me up where my legs hung off his right arm and his left arm wrapped around my waist. He swung me around in circles, and then he sat down on a small sofa near the railing that hadn't been there before.

"I had this put out here for us," he explained.

"Have you brought anyone up here before?" I asked while I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Just you," he replied.

"Does that make me special?" I laughed.

"Definitely," he said seriously. He pressed his lips firmly against mine and kissed me soft and sweet. I kissed him back, lacing my hands around his neck. He pulled me closer to him, and I started to tangle my hands in his hair, which eventually caused his crown to fall to the ground.

"I forgot I was wearing that," he chuckled.

I started to giggle. "Me too."

"I love you," he said while we laughed. I froze.

"What?" I choked.

He looked at me seriously now. H looked straight into my eyes before saying, "I love you, Elisa whatever-your-middle-name-is Carams."

I felt tears swell in my eyes as I kissed him. It was short, but it also showed my appreciation. "I love you too, Prince Aaron Ethan Schreave."

We sat together for the longest time just talking. We joked about a few things that happened at the ball. I loved talking to Aaron because I felt like I could tell him anything.

"Talia," I said after a break of silence.

"Hmm?" He asked as his hum was muffled by my hair.

"My middle name. It's Talia."

"It's beautiful," he said as he kissed my forehead. He laughed a little after that.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well, Elisa means 'consecrated to God' and Talia means 'dew from God'. You are the perfect religious baby," he stated.

"I never knew that," I smiled. "What does your name mean?"

"I asked my parents if they planned this, and they said no. Aaron means 'highly exalted' and Ethan means 'Strong'."

"So, you're the perfect kingly baby," I replied.

"Yes," he replied as we both began to laugh endlessly.

We stayed up there for the rest of the night to watch the sun rise. It soon began to peek over the horizon as the light rose across the sky. Aaron held me close to him as we watched. When it was over, he took me back down to my room.

We stood outside my door with a fluffy white peony. "I'll see you at breakfast," he said.

"Don't fall asleep this time," I teased.

"If I do, I'll be dreaming of you," he whispered in my ear.

"I love you," I said looking into his eyes.

"I love you too, Elly," he said before quickly pecking me on the lips. "I'll see you at breakfast."

I watched as he went down the hallway, receiving conspicuous looks from the staff seeing his messy hair, loose tie, and his crown was barely balanced on his head. I smiled to myself and went inside my room.

I loved Aaron Schreave.