Chapter 36

I wiped off all of the makeup from last night and took out all of the pins in my hair. I jumped in the shower, washing off the scents that other guests cast upon me the night before. After I got out, I applied a small amount of makeup and left my hair in its natural wavy curls.

I hung up my dress and put my shoes in the closet. I threw a random dress over my head and straightened it out. Its smooth silk skirts laid on the floor, so I picked some nude pumps to keep it from dragging. The entire thing was completed by the songbird necklace that hung from my neck.

I checked the time, and it was almost time for breakfast. I paced quickly to the dining hall where people sat in their normal chairs. I sat down next to Marlee, who looked dead tired.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"Please don't talk so loud," she whispered. She glanced at her parents, who were busy talking to a guard about something. "Don't tell my parents, but I'm hungover."

"Marlee, you're only sixteen!"

"And you're seventeen," she said back. "They think I'm just tired, which I also am."

"I swear, Marlee," I giggled. I waved at a nearby staff member to come closer. "Could you get me some coffee, please?"

"Regular or decaf, Lady Elisa?" He replied.

"Regular. You don't have to call me 'Lady' Elisa; I'd prefer it if you just called my Elisa," I said before he nodded his head.

"Yes, Madame," he responded absently before disappearing. I sighed and shook my head.

"Why can't they just call me Elisa?" I huffed.

"Try being a princess," Marlee muttered.

The man came back with my coffee, and I told him thank you and to call me by my first name. I poured sugar and creamer into it, and as I put it to my lips I could see a guard whispering in between Maxon and America's heads.

Their eyes widened as he leaned backwards. I could see King Maxon mouth 'Are you sure?' to the guard, and he simply nodded. They stood up in their chairs and left the room.

"What do you think happened?" Kiara asked Marlee.

"I'm not sure," she said curiously. "Aaron, do you know?"

"I don't," he said gravely. "But I can say I'm worried."

I checked my watch, and it was nearly time for my morning lesson with Thomas. I excused myself after drinking the last of my coffee and walked to the stables. I saddled Nike and led him around the structure to warm up.

I met Thomas at the back and he started the lesson. For the next few hours I learned how to run at full speed. I raced through fields and jumped several holes and logs. When Nike began to grow tired, we trotted back to the stables where Thomas water for me.

"Welp," he said in his thick accent. "I don't think you need my help anymore," he chuckled heartily while squinting into the sun.

"Thank you for everything you've taught me," I said.

"Don't worry 'bout a thing," he replied. "It's been great knowin' ya. Do you want me to take Nike in for you?"

"That would be lovely," I sighed. I handed the reigns to Thomas and he led Nike away. "Thank you!" I called. He sent me a back-handed wave.

"How was your ride?" A voice said behind me. I turned to face Aaron, who was in blue denim and a plain white shirt. I had never seen him in anything but dress pants and a dress shirt.

"It was great," I told him. He offered his arm out to me, and I gladly took it. He lead me further into the stables to a familiar pin.

Midna was waiting, fully saddled, in her stall. Aaron opened the rusty latch, and the door screeched as it slid open. I walked in, and while Aaron's back was turned, lifted myself on rope of Midna, pushing myself to the back of her saddle.

Aaron turned and blinked in surprise. "Well, I seen you've outgrown my help," he laughed.

"Of course not," I joked while patting the empty space in front of me. Aaron swung his left leg over the right flank, causing him to sit backward and face me. "Aaron, what are you doing?" I giggled. He planted a kiss on my lips before setting himself straight on the horse.

We both laughed and I wrapped my arms around his torso, and he kicked off. We took to the open fields, with bright green grass and a mid-spring warmth. The air danced through my soft curls, tossing them to the wind. We slowed at a hill and Aaron slid off.

Aaron opened his arms, gesturing for me to fall into them. "Are you going to catch me this time?" I teased.

"Maybe," he joked. I laughed while I fell into his arms. His arms snaked around my waist and he hoisted me into the air. I laughed as I looked down on him. He had a bright smile plastered on his face, revealing perfect rows of white teeth. His blue eyes were playful and loving.

He sat me back in the ground and we walked to the top of the hill. We sat and while I split blades of grass, he stroked my hair. "Do you know what's going on with your parents?" I asked him while focusing on the plant in my fingers.

"No," he admitted. "I wish I did, though."

"You'll know soon enough," I said surely.

"I hope so. These last few weeks have been great with you, Elly."

"I've enjoyed them a little, too," I smiled. I loved the way he said my name.

"I can't see you as often as I have been, though," he sighed.

"Why not?" I asked, trying to hide my disappointment.

"I've spent the most of my time with you, and I need to be splitting it equally," he explained. I nodded my head.

"I understand," I said as I looked him in the eyes.

"It doesn't mean I don't love you any less," he said hastily.

He said he loved me in that sentence, and it sent happy signals down my nerves in my arms and legs. "No, no, I know," I said. "It's not fair to everyone else."

"I think we should head back," he suggested.

"Probably," I said, gesturing to the pink sky.

He offered his hand and pulled me off the ground. I rode in front of him in the saddle, and Midna walked slowly back to the stables. I helped Aaron unbuckle the saddle, and while he went to put it back in the saddle closet, I groomed Midna's black hair.

We left the stables and walked into the palace together. A nearby servant handed Aaron a shirt he had worn earlier, and he slipped it on over his white shirt. He buttoned it up, quickly trying to tuck in his shirt.

"You missed a button," I said while trying to fix it. I lined them up correctly, and we stood at the dining hall door.

"Thank you," he muttered before pecking my lips.

"Your welcome," I responded before sitting next to Kiara and Marlee. America and Maxon were noticeably missing.

I ate my food in silence, carefully twining my spaghetti on my fork. Marlee didn't speak either, but the rest of the selected chatted happily. A guard entered the room loudly, startling all of us.

"I'm here to escort Lady Elisa Carams to the King's office," he boomed deeply.

My mind immediately went to the thought, What did I do wrong?